You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I feel that I got scammed (No RTL support?)

Hello everyone,

I started Affinity Designer today only to find that it has no RTL or Arabic font support at all, I was shocked, I thought that I had to tweak some settings to make it working but it turned out to not to be support nor it be on the roadmap.

I paid money for this program expecting it to act as a professional vector editor but how is this even possible with it lacking such a simple feature.

I'm really disappointed and I really feel that I got scammed by not mentioning it anywhere that there's no RTL support, shame on you.

And the feature is not even on the roadmap means that you really don't care for people in Middle East, thanks for all your appreciation.

@BitzSec: Serif offers 10-day free trials of both Photo and Designer for the desktop operating systems. Using them would have let you discover that before buying. Or you could have read the forums, or asked.

However, if you purchased directly from Serif via the Affinity Store you're within the return/refund period, and can get your money back. You should be able to initiate that by emailing them at AffinityReturns@serif.com

If you purchased via the Mac Store or the Windows Store you will need to follow their return/refund processes, as documented at those stores.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

First, @BitzSec, please note that I'm just a user like yourself, as shown by the profile info next to my name in the forums. 

So I am not choosing to lose a customer, merely pointing out that you don't need to feel scammed, but can get your money back.

Second, if you read the forums, you will find a number of posts from the Serif staff which indicate that RTL support is not a simple feature to add. They are the only ones who would know the complexity, and who know what their development priorities are.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks @walt.farrell. That's what I would have wrote back.

By all the actual scammers out there Serif desevers a honourable mention that they are not.

@BitzSec: They want you to be 100% satisfied or you get your money back. And they really mean it.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Well, I got super excited at first and bought Designer and Photo. But I had to renew my subscription to Adobe CC when it became totally clear that Serif wouldn't really bother about RTL support. Yeah, yeah it's complex I get it, but saying (repeatedly) that it''s not planned for several years into the future is what made me realize they'll have to settle for competing with open source software and certainly not with the likes of Adobe.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:23 AM, BitzSec said:

Simply as that? Instead of implementing such a simple feature, you choose to lose a customer? The worst reply I have ever received.

Why didn't you start with the trial version before buying.... and then whining.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"