You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all

This has been the week of figuring out how to get my colours sorted in Affinity Photo. There is no direct support for the ColorChecker Passport from X-Rite in Affinity Photo unfortunately but I did figure out how to do it with some help. If you use X-Right ColorChecker Passport these are the steps on how to do it. This might be painfully obvious to some people but for me it was all entirely new and took a while to get my head around so I hope that this is some use to people.

1. When you are shooting your photos in a location take a photo of the ColorChecker Passports colour cards and the white card. Make sure they are in the same place as your subject matter and are properly exposed.

2. Import all the photos from your session along with your pictures of the ColorChecker.

3. Open your photos of the ColorChecker in Affinity Photo crop them down if you like and export them as 16 bit Tiff files. 8 bit might work but I have been going with 16

4. Open ColorChecker Tiff photos with the new beta version of ColorChecker Passport  Camera Calibration software in the ICC tab.

5. Export your ICC profiles naming them something so you know what photo shoot they go along with. 

6. Close down Affinity Photo and then re-open it to refresh the ICC database

7. Open your photos from the associated photo shoot and go to the Document tab and select Assign ICC Profile and select the ICC file you just created. And if all goes well your colour is mostly corrected.

8. Now to set the white balances correctly. Go to White Balance in the Adjustment section. Click the Picker button and then click on the photo that you took during the photo shoot of your white card. This will then automatically make the adjustment.

I hope that helps some folks. I did not understand any of this stuff three days ago and it was no fun trying to get my head around it for the first time. If anyone has tips on how to improve upon this workflow please share. I am by no means an expert on this subject. 

All the best!

• 1 year later...

Hi Sugar Lion,

I went through the same process to create my ICC profile. And as you say the colours do change when you select the colour checker created profile.  However, in my case, the luminance (brightness) also increases.  This has the effect of blowing out the highlights in such things as clouds. I have tried a few colour checker created profiles and they all do the same thing.

Is this something that you have experienced, or is it jus me?

Cheers.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:53 PM, Sideslope said:

Hi Sugar Lion,

I went through the same process to create my ICC profile. And as you say the colours do change when you select the colour checker created profile.  However, in my case, the luminance (brightness) also increases.  This has the effect of blowing out the highlights in such things as clouds. I have tried a few colour checker created profiles and they all do the same thing.

Is this something that you have experienced, or is it jus me?

Cheers.

I don't recall this happening to me but it has been a while. I have been using Capture One Pro 20 for 99% of my work. It is just way faster and does what I need. I use Photo only when I need HDR or to do some cool comping and layering work.

Why not just adjust the brightness with an adjustment layer after the fact to regain your highlights?

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Minghao Fei said:

Hi Sugar Lion,

Thanks for this, and could you please also, if possible, suggest a way of using SpyderCheckr from Datacolor for Affinity Photo as well? is it technically possible to do so?

Thanks!

It would be the same process except it looks like you would have to use Datacolors software because they have the colors flipped on the card for some reason. By taking a quick glance on the Datacolor website it seems that they have software that works withere cards. Just export the ICC profile and apply it in Affinity Photo. 

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I had similar issue after following the steps of sugar lion, but the brightness went down. The exposure was high and clipped the color of few paletes. Then, I worked on the brightness, contrast, etc and exported as tiff, and imported as icc. Then when I apply the profile, the general brightness goes down. I use only affinity to develop and edit the pictures. 

thanks for any potential advice. 
OBS: I verify the exposure before taking the color checker passport picture To avoid it, but I think the light was still strong and the camera measured from the black part of the passport case. 
Sergio

• 4 months later...

Hi iso68,

yes, so you keep the color accuracy in your pictures. 
One video I watched, though, the photographer used the color check at 13 h and took pictures hole day. During sunset he did NOT reused the color check so he preserved the warmth of the afternoon. I understand if he has used, the pictures would loose the yellow tint. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Received today (20-Sep-22)

The SpyderCHECKR creates a HSL based user defined setting in the host application.
Therefore, the host application must offer a very comprehensive HSL slider adjustment and the ability to create such a setting from an external application.
This can be done in Adobe camera RAW (from Photoshop CS3 and higher), in Adobe Lightroom Classic (from Adobe Lightroom 2 and higher) and in Phocus from Hasselblad (version 2.8 and higher - this is a free of charge product).
In addition, the SpyderCHECKR is compatible with Blackmagic Davinci Resolve (version 11 and higher).

Unfortunately Affinity Photo does not offer these abilities here. Therefore, we can not support Affinity Photo by the SpyderCHECKR at this time.
Maybe you can use Phocus from Hasselblad as a step in between as it supports a DNG image workflow.

Maybe Lumariver Profile Designer ( http://www.lumariver.com/ ) can be an option for you. According to the developer Lumariver Profile Designer can create DNG camera profiles from the SpyderCHECKR.
Please note that we can not make any promises here as Lumariver Profile Designer is not a Datacolor product.

Best regards,

Datacolor Spyder Support