You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

16 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Yes, that's your problem. But if someone proves you wrong and you still claim you were right—then everyone reading the forums should care.

10 years in prison. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I agree with the above – buy the affinity suite if it works for you. Nothing more needs to be said. I don't understand why making such a discussion out of it and all that philosophical debate is necessary. It fills the forums.

I jumped in because I've been receiving email notifications from this thread more than 8 times today. Muting them now.

Totally.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

On 3/31/2021 at 12:36 PM, Elise Kleve said:

Do I know you?

Do you actually pay for any of my subscriptions? Lol.

Wow, I'll need coffee to unpack that...

Nope.  Don't need to.  A subscription is not ownership.  If you "own" something, it's helpful to be clear on it.  I have not been able to ascertain from your comments just what functionality you find in Adobe...and not in Affinity.

If you don't see a value...for you...in Affinity, that's for you to decide.  But, honestly, you just seem like you are here to complain...not seek information.

Btw...  Has anyone addressed your sunny personality, yet?  No?  Let me be the first.

11 hours ago, Nita Reed said:

But, honestly, you just seem like you are here to complain...not seek information.

All you said is irrelevant and merely fueled by opinions and emotions. None of which has represented what I said since, how do I say it, you're not me.

Thanks for trying to explain to everyone what the inner-workings of my brain is all about.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

11 hours ago, Nita Reed said:

Btw...  Has anyone addressed your sunny personality, yet?  No?  Let me be the first.

You're not my mom and I don't even know you. Cast a  stone to your self, Karen.

Getting tired of these opinionated responses that are trying to lecture me about how I say things. I'd better talk to Affinity representatives.

Edit:
How do I mute the notifications from this thread?

4 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

At the top of this page, above "Replay to this topic".

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

2 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

At the top of this page, above "Replay to this topic".

@Petar Petrenko Do you have a different layout of the forums (probably for mobiles)?

6 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

Edit:

@Elise Kleve For me, there's a button "Following" to the top right, which allows me to unsubscribe from a thread.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

11 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Do you have a different layout of the forums (probably for mobiles)?

No, I don't have. I'm on Windows.

7 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

Since you’re not on the list of followers you must be getting notifications for some other reason. Go to the Notification Settings page, change the settings according to your preferences and press ‘Save’ in each of the two sections.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Since you’re not on the list of followers you must be getting notifications for some other reason. Go to the Notification Settings page, change the settings according to your preferences and press ‘Save’ in each of the two sections.

Though you can follow threads without showing up in the list by activating that option.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

42 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Though you can follow threads without showing up in the list by activating that option.

If you clear the ‘Let others see that I follow this’ checkbox you show up anonymously (as ‘and 1 other’ or ‘and 2 others’, etc). At the time of writing there’s no such note on the list.

Alfred spacer.png

On 4/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, Nita Reed said:

Wow, I'll need coffee to unpack that...

Nope.  Don't need to.  A subscription is not ownership.  If you "own" something, it's helpful to be clear on it.  I have not been able to ascertain from your comments just what functionality you find in Adobe...and not in Affinity.

If you don't see a value...for you...in Affinity, that's for you to decide.  But, honestly, you just seem like you are here to complain...not seek information.

Even with a perpetual license you do not not technically own your software. Adobe could cancel the service and revoke if they wished. It is more semantics really as it is a one time purchase so feels more like ownership then the subscription. 

16 minutes ago, wonderings said:

it is a one time purchase so feels more like ownership

It doesn’t just feel like ownership, it actually is ownership, but instead of owning the software itself you own a licence to use it. With a subscription model you rent the licence rather than owning it outright.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, Alfred said:

It doesn’t just feel like ownership, it actually is ownership, but instead of owning the software itself you own a licence to use it. With a subscription model you rent the licence rather than owning it outright.

But, Wonderings is right...Adobe can lock that door at any time.  Others have done it...it's not a rare occurrence.

Not many folks have the $$$ or the stamina to fight an Adobe...  An outcome could take YEARS and un mean time you would have to find alternative solutions for your work that will NOT wait YEARS.

I just don't ever consider such things as "ownership"...

7 hours ago, Nita Reed said:

We’re singing from the same hymn sheet, Nita! What you’ve described is exactly why I said it’s rental, not ownership, when you go down the subscription route.

Alfred spacer.png

On 4/15/2021 at 11:52 PM, Nita Reed said:

But, Wonderings is right...Adobe can lock that door at any time.  Others have done it...it's not a rare occurrence.

Not many folks have the $$$ or the stamina to fight an Adobe...  An outcome could take YEARS and un mean time you would have to find alternative solutions for your work that will NOT wait YEARS.

The only way you could consider this "ownership" regarding Adobe software would be more as a role reversal. That is, Adobe owns you. What you described here looks more like the company owns you more than you "own" their software.

You are really stretching your definition of "ownership". You should really learn the difference between a service and a product in business. There is a clear distinction between selling a product and selling a service. Adobe used to primarily sell products back in the Creative Suite days, but then later on changed their business model completely to a service model. Serif is doing exactly what Adobe used to do by selling Affinity as a product first and foremost. You can own a product, but for a service you can't.

A good comparison would be taking a taxi or driving your own car. You don't own the taxi just because you pay for it. Once you have paid for a car you own the car. Adobe is the taxi and Affinity is the car.

Hi all,

Regretfully we are deviating from the original subject, which is about a future 2.0 release of Affinity.

Does someone know if there is a kind of feature list for version 2.0 for Designer?

Personally, I am looking forward to a "knife" tool and mesh and text warp features.

Have a nice day.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Does someone know if there is a kind of feature list for version 2.0 for Designer?

No one outside of Serif knows.

No one inside Serif will say.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

The only way you could consider this "ownership" regarding Adobe software would be more as a role reversal. That is, Adobe owns you. What you described here looks more like the company owns you more than you "own" their software.

You are really stretching your definition of "ownership". You should really learn the difference between a service and a product in business. There is a clear distinction between selling a product and selling a service. Adobe used to primarily sell products back in the Creative Suite days, but then later on changed their business model completely to a service model. Serif is doing exactly what Adobe used to do by selling Affinity as a product first and foremost. You can own a product, but for a service you can't.

A good comparison would be taking a taxi or driving your own car. You don't own the taxi just because you pay for it. Once you have paid for a car you own the car. Adobe is the taxi and Affinity is the car.

ummm...I'm not the one saying I own PS...the opposite, in fact.  You are lecturing the wrong one.

17 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Hi all,

Regretfully we are deviating from the original subject, which is about a future 2.0 release of Affinity.

Personally, I am looking forward to a "knife" tool and mesh and text warp features.

Have a nice day.

Chris

I recall some post long ago mentioning that a raster to vector converter for Designer would be in version 2, but that was before the roadmap was scrapped. Though, as others have mentioned, we don't know when or what will be in it, especially considering that Serif only announces features when they have something they are willing to share.

For 1.9 we had one developer actually announce several features on the forums that came with the update and even then there were several unannounced features and updates that weren't even mentioned ahead of time. If history repeats itself we might get news on a possible 1.10 during summer with an autumn/winter release of the Beta, so we'll see what happens.

Right now I honestly doubt that 2.0 will be next considering previous statements made by staff saying things that would suggest more free updates are coming until they release version 2.