You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The boxed versions of the Creative Suite stopped at CS6. Until then you could buy and own Adobe programs. Since then it is pay or die. We are now at version 14. Means it has been software as a service for more versions than it was software to own. Adobe has become sort of an industry standard over the years and they shamelessly exploit their monopoly. Want to use the creative suite? Sure! 670 bucks a year and nothing to keep once you stop paying...

I still have a CS5.5 boxed version, but I did never regret having expanded into the Affinity universe. Comparing the price with what you get this is true bargain. Rocksolid tools to work with. And because this approach is very fair, they will have my support on 2.0 an beyond as well.

Welcome to the forums @MDC1977😊  I agree with you 1000%.  I also refused to pay Adobe's extortion to "rent" my own books and was bound and determined to go elsewhere.  When I discovered Affinity the lights came back on in my universe.  Not to mention that the apps are so much nicer all the way around.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 8/8/2020 at 12:12 AM, Elise Kleve said:

I don't need logic. When you talk about business logic doesn't apply.

Anyway, what I was saying is that you can own Adobe CS apps forever compared to the current pricing of Affinity apps which requires payment to update to a major release.

I know. I am currently updating my copy of Affinity Publisher to 1.8.4.

Ermmm...logic doesn't apply to business?  Huh?

What do you actually "own" with Adobe???

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 6:39 AM, Nita Reed said:

Ermmm...logic doesn't apply to business?  Huh?

What do you actually "own" with Adobe???

Do I know you?

Do you actually pay for any of my subscriptions? Lol.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

2 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

Do I know you?

Do you actually pay for any of my subscriptions? Lol.

So, what now? You have subscriptions you pay for? I thought you "own" adobe apps. Kinda contradicting yourself.

Yes, you can still use outdated Adobe apps if you paid for them without the need to pay for the current versions' subsriction. But that's exactly the same with Affinity. You'll be able to use the 1.x versions as long as your operating system will allow you to do (you "own" Aiffinity apps, following your logic). But you'll have to pay for the next major version of the program (2.x).

That said, it's not exactly the same, I suppose. You have to pay per month for a subscription of using Adobe's current products, whereas Serif's charging for such a "subscription" (aka using the current version even after an upgrade to a new major version) once every 5-10 years.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

11 hours ago, Andy05 said:

So, what now? You have subscriptions you pay for? I thought you "own" adobe apps. Kinda contradicting yourself.

Yes, you can still use outdated Adobe apps if you paid for them without the need to pay for the current versions' subsriction. But that's exactly the same with Affinity. You'll be able to use the 1.x versions as long as your operating system will allow you to do (you "own" Aiffinity apps, following your logic). But you'll have to pay for the next major version of the program (2.x).

That said, it's not exactly the same, I suppose. You have to pay per month for a subscription of using Adobe's current products, whereas Serif's charging for such a "subscription" (aka using the current version even after an upgrade to a new major version) once every 5-10 years.

What's your point? I'm not asking any questions. As you can see, I only made a remark. End of story.

Here's the remark I made. I don't demand answers.

image.png.9b03021beddd66414a4895dac92c0fab.png

I choose which option is best for me.
I use Affinity Publisher for PDF creation over Illustrator and InDesign and I am not planning on purchasing the 2.0 version.

Photoshop and Illustrator will be my primary tools for graphic design. And nothing can replace Lightroom in my workflow.

"I'd better stay with Adobe CS apps for now."

Which means that I don't need to upgrade at the moment unless something I need will be added; something that I will pay for. That's why "I'd better stay with Adobe CS apps for now."

The reality is that I need apps from Adobe and Serif. Debating whether the other company has better pricing or not is illogical and futile since I'm going to pay for both anyway.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

Most apps will update within the remit of that version, so 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc but when the major version changes from say version 1 to version  2 an additional upgrade fee is charged to enable continued development. In Affinity's case version 2 may be a year away or even more, just because it's on version 1.9.2 doesn't mean it's at version 1.10 the next version will be v2 it could be that v1.11, 1.12 occurs. so with each release of the 1.x.x version you get free updates. 

But, the updates cannot continue forever v 1.1000.2 because the company would go bust, they supply software that requires continuous development and adaptation this takes time and skilled staff and. that costs money.

If people tried to do what Affinity/serif are doing they would not have gripes, same as employees that moan because the boss has a jag and they have a lada, try running your own company and then complain.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

Here's the remark I made. I don't demand answers.

image.png.9b03021beddd66414a4895dac92c0fab.png

Well, if you have the urge of quoting yourself, don't leave out the relevant stuff, please.

On 8/8/2020 at 6:12 AM, Elise Kleve said:

Anyway, what I was saying is that you can own Adobe CS apps forever compared to the current pricing of Affinity apps which requires payment to update to a major release.

That's what I was referring to. Not a question either, that's right. But a false claim nonetheless. You have been the one telling us you could own Adobe CS apps forever in contrast to Affinity's apps. Which is simply wrong. You can use your "owned", yet outdated Adobe apps as much as you could use "owned" (yet outdated, too) Affinity apps. No more, no less. It's as simple as that.

That said, I couldn't care less about whether you're using Affintiy apps, Adobe apps, "owned" or via subscription. Neither do I want to talk you into using Affinity apps rather than Adobe's as I also still have to use other apps for some jobs as long as Serif's apps don't provide some of the functions I need. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

7 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

I also still have to use other apps for some jobs as long as Serif's apps don't provide some of the functions I need. 

That's correct.

I completelly replaced Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Xara... with Photo and Designer, but still waiting for footnotes to dump InDesign and start using Publisher.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 minute ago, Petar Petrenko said:

That's correct.

I completelly replaced Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Xara... with Photo and Designer, but still waiting for footnotes to dump InDesign and start using Publisher.

I still "own" 😉 previous versions of various design software. Photoshop, InDesign and CorelDRAW are some of which I still need quite often (latter I need the most as long as we still don't have vector warp/distortions and true vector brushes).

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

14 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

I need the most as long as we still don't have vector warp/distortions

I rarely do any (text) distorsions, so I do not miss this feature too much, but it would be nice to have it, of course. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Andy05 said:

That said, I couldn't care less about whether you're using Affintiy apps, Adobe apps, "owned" or via subscription. Neither do I want to talk you into using Affinity apps rather than Adobe's as I also still have to use other apps for some jobs as long as Serif's apps don't provide some of the functions I need. 

So what's the point of answering and quoting what I said and pointing out anything about anything?

What's the problem? You can own CS apps forever that are more functional than the updated versions of Affinity apps, LOL. Stop pointing out anything that is correct.

And I decide what I want with my own money. Everything you said does not help me decide which software to buy. LOL.

I came here for information on Affinity version 2.0. Whether I would buy it or not.

1 hour ago, Elise Kleve said:

I came here for information on Affinity version 2.0. Whether I would buy it or not.

Since version 2.0 is not here and there are no details of the features it would have are available, you cannot make an informed choice until such time as a trial version of version 2.0 is released and you actually try it out to see if it fits your workflow, so the question is pretty much redundant until that time.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

*sigh* Seriously?

1 hour ago, Elise Kleve said:

What's the problem? You can own CS apps forever that are more functional than the updated versions of Affinity apps, LOL. Stop pointing out anything that is correct.

So, now you added something meaningful for the first time in this matter. As all of your previous statements in this regard have been wrong. You can own Affinity apps forever as much as you can own Adobe's app. You can deny it as often as you want to—your initial claim

was wrong. As shown in your last post, you needed to add some game changing facts in order to twist that claim into something true.

Also, even all of the gratis updates have added tons of new features to the Affinity apps over the past years. Whereas Adobe rarely (if ever?) added any noteworthy new feature for free to an existing version. You had/have to pay for each of them as each new feature got implemented into a new version of the apps.

And obviously, the Adobe apps you "own" also don't have everything you need. Or otherwise you might have too much money in order to waste it on your current subscription.

Whether a version 2.x of the Affinity apps will have all functions you need or not—nobody knows. Until then you're right with at least one statement: You—like anyone of us—might have to continue paying for Adobe (or any other tool), which has all functions you really need.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Just to throw a new wrinkle in this discussion.  If @Elise Kleve actually “owns” her CS apps then let’s all hope that her current computers never kick the bucket, because she probably won’t be able to install her “owned” apps on new devices.  $700.00 worth of an “owned” purchase of InDesign went out the window as entirely uninstallable when I moved from Mac Yosemite to Mac Sierra, even though I had been assured that it would function.  And that was 6 years ago.  Adobe was unamused when I asked them to honor the serial code. I was even more unamused.  It is entirely up to Elise as to what she choses to use.  As for me it is Affinity hands down, not only for the ever-more-sophisticated trilogy of Publisher-Photo-Designer, but also for the old-fashioned and extremely rare corporate culture Serif/Affinity exhibit every day in the way they interact with customers.   I suspect I am just one in the vast majority here.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

29 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Just to throw a new wrinkle in this discussion.  If @Elise Kleve actually “owns” her CS apps then let’s all hope that her current computers never kick the bucket, because she probably won’t be able to install her “owned” apps on new devices.  $700.00 worth of an “owned” purchase of InDesign went out the window as entirely uninstallable when I moved from Mac Yosemite to Mac Sierra, even though I had been assured that it would function.  And that was 6 years ago.  Adobe was unamused when I asked them to honor the serial code. I was even more unamused.  It is entirely up to Elise as to what she choses to use.  As for me it is Affinity hands down, not only for the ever-more-sophisticated trilogy of Publisher-Photo-Designer, but also for the old-fashioned and extremely rare corporate culture Serif/Affinity exhibit every day in the way they interect with customers.   I suspect I am just one in the vast majority here.  

Who assured you that your version of Adobe CS would work with Yosemite and Sierra?. That being said I have had success installing CS5 and CS6 in High Sierra. I simply installed though out of curiosity, I was able to open the apps, that was all I did as I use Adobe CC. Your serial code is still workable as long as the computer you are installing it on meets the system requirements. 

@wonderings  APPLE tech support.  System requirements were fine.   Oh yes, the app installed.  But the Serial code was necessary to make InDesign function.  “aye, there’s the rub . . . “ according to Wm. Shakespeare.  It was rejected by my Mac, Adobe rejected any responsibility for honoring it, and I rejected Adobe.  But as in so much else in life, when faced with road blocks find another way around and you may find beautiful things you would never have thought to discover.  I found Affinity.

I owned, if I remember correctly, the last release of PS before CS. I switched to a new Windows computer and expected to have to reinstall PS. I discovered that Adobe had shut down the license servers for that old release, and there was no way to reinstall.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

56 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

@wonderings  APPLE tech support.  System requirements were fine.   Oh yes, the app installed.  But the Serial code was necessary to make InDesign function.  “aye, there’s the rub . . . “ according to Wm. Shakespeare.  It was rejected by my Mac, Adobe rejected any responsibility for honoring it, and I rejected Adobe.  But as in so much else in life, when faced with road blocks find another way around and you may find beautiful things you would never have thought to discover.  I found Affinity.

When you login to your Adobe account and see your serial numbers, you are saying that does not activate? I have had no issues with serial numbers for CS5 or CS6 activating. Your Mac does not reject a serial number, the number is verified and approved by Adobe. I like that I can login to my Adobe account on there website and see all the products I own and have access to my serial numbers. Much easier then remembering where these ancient numbers would be kept if I had physicals. 

58 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

shut down the license servers for that old release, and there was no way to reinstall.

Happens all the time.

I bought a couple of audio editing apps from Audiofile Engineering about 15 years ago. Eventually the guys apparently broke up in anger or something, sold the software, then the new owner went broke and shut down the license servers. Even if you had a valid license, apparently there was no way to authorize the software on a new Mac. Luckily the receipt for an authorized license is being stored as an invisible file on the hard drive, and as long as its checksum matches the device it's been originally installed on, the license will remain valid. You'd just need to retrieve the file from a backup in case you'd reinstall the OS or installed a new drive. Been there done that, and it works. (My "newest" Mac is from 2012, so all apps were still properly licensed then.)

Eventually by the end of last year, a new owner finally emerged, so at least for the lastest versions of their software there's now a new licensing server in place.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Just to throw a new wrinkle in this discussion.  If @Elise Kleve actually “owns” her CS apps then let’s all hope that her current computers never kick the bucket, because she probably won’t be able to install her “owned” apps on new devices.

I have cloned my disk to a new SSD and I have multiple backups since I do have a lot of work that needs backup. In fact, my current copy of Windows is the exact same OS that I have been using since Windows 7. Hardware malfunction is not a threat to me.

I also keep my software copies in DVDs. 😀

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Since version 2.0 is not here and there are no details of the features it would have are available, you cannot make an informed choice until such time as a trial version of version 2.0 is released and you actually try it out to see if it fits your workflow, so the question is pretty much redundant until that time.

Yes, that's what I came here for. I'm just waiting for some helpful information. I'm currently working on a branding project and 75% of the actual, useful work are accomplished in Affinity Publisher; the rest is completed in my CS apps. I don't know that some random Karen has criticized my choice of apps.
If it works in my workflow who cares if it's outdated? I have been keeping my copies of PS CS2! Haha.

image.png.e932bf77a5920182ccb66e62dcd4af90.png

8 minutes ago, Elise Kleve said:

I don't know that some random Karen has criticized my choice of apps.

Agreed on this, that's why I never criticised your choice of apps, just the critique about which software version could be used (almost) forever without subscription.

How could I argue about your workflow, mine is pretty much the same. Quite some people expressed their struggle in the forums with finishing common design tasks 100% with affinity's apps. They are great for—how did you say?—the first 75%. And they are quite good when it comes to creating mixed vector/pixel artworks. 

Lastly I can only hope that some of the essential features which exists for decades in every other software out there will find their way into V2.x and make it worth not only the purchase of the upgrade but will also allow finishing 99+% of the design works in the future rather than 75%. Though, unless launching V2 takes at least another 1-2 years, I doubt it, considering the pace of the previous updates. 

And even if I might purchase V2 right when it launches in order to support Serif, I most likely won't use it for critical production work until the "hey, I can't start this..., that's broken since the upgrade..."-posts have stopped here in the forums after release. 

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Okay.

1 minute ago, Elise Kleve said:

"something meaningful" is subjective. Therefore I don't care.

So what if what I said was wrong? Who cares? That's my problem.

Yes, that's your problem. But if someone proves you wrong and you still claim you were right—then everyone reading the forums should care.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

28 minutes ago, Elise Kleve said:

I'm just waiting for some helpful information.

Serif have given no hints of when 2.0 might arrive, what it might contain, or what it might cost. 2.0 could be the next major release after 1.9, or (after possibly seeing 1.9.3, 1.9.4, etc.) we could see 1.10, 1.11, etc. and then we might not see 2.0 for several years.

All anyone can say right now is buy Affinity products if they do enough right now to let you do your work (or if you simply want to support the company) and don't buy them if they don't have enough functions for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1