You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity lost match against Luminar... again !

7 minutes ago, hifred said:

Well, I was talking about a well functioning bridge between two programs (in the way one also brings Affinity Photo files into Publisher).
RAW processing within a DAM is broadly established, and popular apps of that kind aren't excactly known for being complex or even bloated.

Yes, and if Affinity wants to include a package that serves as a bridge, sure, that's OK. I just hope that the bridge tool does not have editing capabilities similar to the products that are being bridged.  In summary, there was too much feature-overlap between Aftershop and PaintShop Pro.

2 hours ago, hifred said:

(I'm still using CS6) So one no more can simply store files locally with Lightroom (without touching the Cloud Storage quota?).

With Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom 6 you can, but Classic is more expensive, while Lightroom 6 is legacy, that line won't be developed anymore. However with Lightroom CC you have to upload the raws first to the cloud, then edit them, and then, if you want, you can download or export them. Ok, actually on editing, they can be in a shared workspace, but that's  not the same, as storing then in your own directory structure. I'm not against cloud storage, but I prefer to store my images locally first, and then upload them to cloud.

1 hour ago, RayCJ said:

In summary, there was too much feature-overlap between Aftershop and PaintShop Pro.

Well, that's not feature overlap. While you might see familiar tools in Aftershot or other DAMs with RAW-editing capabilies you only here are working on the full (raw) data. An exported .tif isn't the same thing. Also you seem not to consider working with vast amounts of images. In DAMs which work as RAW editors one can easily apply the same base corrections to hundreds of images at once. That's 100% impossible with APhoto's Develop Persona.

49 minutes ago, Zabalint said:

with Lightroom CC you have to upload the raws first to the cloud, then edit them, and then, if you want, you can download or export them.

Wow that sucks. What if you are shooting and editing in areas where you don't have access to Internet? Thanks for letting me know.

1 minute ago, hifred said:

Wow that sucks. What if you are shooting and editing in areas where you don't have access to Internet? Thanks for letting me know.

And also I don't like to share my private personal photos with Adobe. Clouds suck.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

2 hours ago, >|< said:

Are you absolutely sure that the Lightroom CC user must upload raw files to the cloud before being allowed access to them?

I agree, that sounds bizarre. Then again Adobe with CC also withdraws access to your intellectual property, once you let the rental contract expire. That's many dimensions worse even, and a fact.

10 hours ago, hifred said:

I agree, that sounds bizarre. Then again Adobe with CC also withdraws access to your intellectual property, once you let the rental contract expire. That's many dimensions worse even, and a fact.

You can download or synchronize the uploaded raw files and their adjustments any time, and if you stop subscription, you don't lose your local files.. However if you want to edit a raw image with Lightroom CC, you have to import it, and importing includes upload to the cloud, and based on your settings, there will be a synchronized copy on your local storage, or it will be cached locally.

I'm talkig about Lightroom CC, not about Lightroom CC Classic, they are different applications.

12 hours ago, >|< said:

Are you absolutely sure that the Lightroom CC user must upload raw files to the cloud before being allowed access to them? I doubt that is true. I think some features of Lightroom CC may depend on files being uploaded to the cloud, but it seems unlikely that a user's files cannot be stored and edited entirely locally if that's what the user prefers to do.

Editing actually happens locally, but you can't edit an image before you import it.

1 hour ago, Zabalint said:

and if you stop subscription, you don't lose your local files..

If you stop your Creative Cloud subscription you will however lose editing access to all proprietary file formats, .psd, .ai, .indd and the same is true for work-files from Premiere, After Effects and many more programs in the Suite. There is no 3rd party program which can fully interpret a native Photoshop document.

I dream of Luminar 3 being able to develop my RAWs and export them on demand to Affinity Photo, just Lightroom und Photoshop interact. Serif concentrates on further developing Photo's image processing capabilities and Skylum further develops Luminar's RAW processing capabilities. They interact together nicely and eryone is happy. :x

I think you can keep on dreaming;-) because Skylum is busy with the Luminar 3 DAM for one and a half year now, it's pathetic!

Glad I got my refund for Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3! Both did not work proper and my patience was over.

Use Capture One 12 now (with export to Affinity Photo and a DAM that really works). Skylum has a dubious record of false promises and buggy software. They do spend a lot of money and effort to their marketing with affiliate's on Youtube  and Facebook but deliver poor quality software.

Affinity Photo at least works on most fronts and Serif keeps their promises. There is nothing you can't do with Affinity Photo that you can with Luminar 3. 

"AI Sky" is a joke! Just select the sky in AP and adjust to taste!

Regards,

David

On 1/24/2019 at 3:31 PM, Steps said:

But for a DAM Affinity will have to match digiKam.

Just trying digiKam now thanks to this thread and love how fast it moves. I have been using Olympus Viewer 3 and it has been very cumbersome. There are so many areas where I would love to see Affinity Photo grow but from my short time with the program it seems that there are many people groaning about things not happening as quickly as they would like. This frightens me seeing that they are launching a new product and running two beta programs. Getting the feeling they are spreading themselves a little thin.

• 11 months later...

Coming from a new user of both Luminar 4 and Affinity Photo, I can recommend pieces of both. The selling point of Affinity was a very capable focus stacking module able to ingest RAW files (Nikon .NEF's) within a full-featured photo processor (I don't give a DAM (sorry, had to say that)) for less than half the price of a dedicated focus stacker like Zerene or Helicon Focus.