You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feather Selection - prevent canvas borders

Hello,

I am a new Affinity Photo user and I am quite amazed what this software can do (good job). However I would like to ask about one thing I am not able to solve. Is there a way to prevent feather selection be used on borders of canvas? I know I can tweak mask that I created using feather selection but I would like to have an option to prevent it right with feather selection. I am attaching img to demonstrate what I am up to.

feather_selection_keep_bordes.thumb.png.5bbf85d42c35a5143f7afa2b57dd69c4.png

Thanks Tomas

• Staff

Hi @Tomáš Luža,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm not really sure I understand what is it that you're trying to achieve. 

Regardless, when you use a selection tool, you cannot ignore the borders. If you draw the selection box over the borders(or any other elements), it will select them. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hey Gabriel,

thank you for your input I will try to specify my problem. I am attaching another img where you can see a difference when you use feather with another software (in this case it is GIMP). For both examples I used same method -> Use Rectangular Marquee Tool -> select half of the canvas -> apply feather -> Use fill with secondary color (black). As you can see in GIMP (In Photoshop does work the same way) feather was applied only to the side of selection that was not in contact with border of canvas (aka in the middle of screen) althou Affinity Photo feather affected all sides of selection (even those that are in contact with canvas borders). So I would like to know if it is possible to do it the "GIMP" way?

feather_selection_keep_bordes_2.thumb.png.83c9201fc05a67645dfb780d6f192eeb.png

Thanks Tomas