You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen pressure sensitivity not working on OSX with XP-Pen

Hi!

I've just installed the trial for the desktop Affinity Designer to give the software and vector drawing a try but I'm experiencing issues with pressure sensitivity. I'm on OSX Mojave, Affinity 1.6.5, using an XP-Pen tablet. 

The pressure sensitivity setting is turned on, and the pressure works fine in other applications (AI, PS, etc.).

Some oddities are once the Pressure controller is turned on, the size of the brush drops down to its default smallest size but None changes it to the set default size (e.g. 32px). I thought perhaps I wasn't pressing hard enough so I went to the highest size but it made no difference.

Lastly, it creates strange patterns if I continue to hold the drawing for a moment at the start of the stroke, which you can see in the attached image. I've tried relaunching, and restarting.

Any ideas? So far, this is a bummer to start but I'm hoping it can be fixed.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 3.44.23 PM.png

• Staff

Hi @nickmade,

Welcome to the forums. 

There are 2 settings you need to be aware of. The Brush settings(your screenshot), and the global "Control" settings. image.png

The Controller overwrites the brush settings. So, if that is set to none, you will not have pressure active, regardless of the brush settings. 

12 hours ago, nickmade said:

Lastly, it creates strange patterns if I continue to hold the drawing for a moment at the start of the stroke, which you can see in the attached image. I've tried relaunching, and restarting.

This would be expected as you change the pressure in the same spot, and a secondary node would be created to accommodate the new pressure if you move the pen ever so slightly. If you use the node tool on a "broken" stoke, you will see it has got multiple nodes. You can try to set stabiliser with a low rope value and see how it goes. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hey @GabrielM

Thanks so much for replying to my message!

I think my experience was related to a mix of a questionable tablet driver update, comparing it to AI (blob brush), and the brush's setting profile + variance, along with what you suggested. For the latter, I imagined if it's a pressure sensitive brush, the global control set to Pressure shouldn't change but that's good to know.

The only other issue, if you don't mind me asking here instead of creating a new thread, is the vector brush seems to frequently overcorrect my strokes (See attached). I've tested different velocities, etc. with no luck. In AI, I'm able to adjust the fidelity from accurate to smooth. I haven't been able to find something similar in Affinity — does it exist?

Thanks!

affinity-designer-vector_accuracy.gif

I find the line control to be better in Photo than Designer... Its smoothing control works best for me, too. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

3 hours ago, nickmade said:

The only other issue, if you don't mind me asking here instead of creating a new thread, is the vector brush seems to frequently overcorrect my strokes (See attached). I've tested different velocities, etc. with no luck. In AI, I'm able to adjust the fidelity from accurate to smooth. I haven't been able to find something similar in Affinity — does it exist?

Do you mean something other than the Rope stabilizer or Window stabilizer mode settings?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean something other than the Rope stabilizer or Window stabilizer mode settings?

Hey there,

Yes, I tried moving the Rope/Window slider to different numbers but it didn't seem to have an impact on the corrective behavior/fidelity to my actual stroke for finer movement.

Just now, nickmade said:

Yes, I tried moving the Rope/Window slider to different numbers but it didn't seem to have an impact on the corrective behavior/fidelity to my actual stroke for finer movement.

Was the Stabilizer enabled (the box ticked in the Context toolbar) when you tried this? At least for me, when it is not the only thing that affects the path drawn is how smooth my strokes are (for the brush defaults & no pressure variation).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7