You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask button etc..

Hi guys,

Baught the app for my iPad last week and trying to understand personas, studios and everything else. Still way too far away from processing my first image!!!

Noticed some thing, though...

I don’t have the layer mask button (Japan flag) in layers studio and left/right arrows above question mark in the bottom right corner.

Where will I find them?

Please advise.

Thanks / Samiulla 

Clipping and cropping/masking are done by dragging and dropping in the Layers Studio: drag a layer onto the layer/object you want it to be clipped by, or drag the cropping layer/object and drop it onto another layer’s thumbnail to crop it. Unlike the desktop versions, I don’t know of any buttons or menu options for these operations in the iPad apps.

For the Undo/Redo arrows, tap on the gearwheel in the top right-hand corner of the home screen to access Preferences, and then switch on ‘Show Undo and Redo buttons’ on the Interface screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Clipping and cropping/masking are done by dragging and dropping in the Layers Studio: drag a layer onto the layer/object you want it to be clipped by, or drag the cropping layer/object and drop it onto another layer’s thumbnail to crop it. Unlike the desktop versions, I don’t know of any buttons or menu options for these operations in the iPad apps.

For the Undo/Redo arrows, tap on the gearwheel in the top right-hand corner of the home screen to access Preferences, and then switch on ‘Show Undo and Redo buttons’ on the Interface screen.

Thanks Alfred, got the undo/redo buttons. But did not understand your suggestion regarding masking. Have been watching some YouTube videos and they all show/talk about mask button [looks like Japan flag] in the layers studio on iPad.

7 minutes ago, summersara said:

create a mask from the + sign to create a new layer

Oops! Thanks for the reminder, Sara. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 hours ago, summersara said:

Hi, are you sure you are not using Designer? It doesnt have a mask button, you acess the option to create a mask from the + sign to create a new layer.

Thanks. No, I am not using Designer... it’s photo.  Got my answers.

Probably the older version had that sort of button for masks.... was watching YouTube video on the channel ‘affinity revolution’ where I saw it.