You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows - Use color profile other than primary display

Hey everyone, I'm running into an issue with how Affinity Photo chooses a monitor color profile on Windows. I'm using a BenQ and a Dell monitor for my two displays. The way in which these monitors are calibrated are very different. The BenQ uses sRGB color profile for windows color management and has a calibrated LUT on the monitor hardware to provide color calibration. The Dell has a calibration profile selected at the OS level. The problem is that Affinity Photo only uses the primary display profile so the colors are accurate on only the primary display. Photoshop will automatically switch depending on which monitor it is on. Is there any way I can choose which profile Affinity Photo is using?

Hi, HVDB, that's for setting the default color profile for images not the applicaiton. That does not allow me to choose the monitor profile AP is using. AP has to choose which monitor profile it uses to display colors correctly in addition to the profile used for the image. As it is right now, AP is using the monitor profile of the primary display.

I think there's a recognized bug in that area. I don't know if it's fixed in the 1.7 beta, but you could try it and see, unless someone from Serif or another user already knows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, since you mentioned this issue possibly being fixed in the 1.7 beta I went ahead and installed it. I can confirm as of 1.7.0.209 AP correctly chooses the monitor's color profile when it is moved between windows when using the ICC Display Transform in 32-Bit preview. However, when using the OCIO Display Transform the problem seems to persist. Looks like I need to submit a bug report for the 1.7 beta for the OCIO Display Transform.