You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP do NOT accept brush stroke?

Hello.

Today I discovered a problem in AP Beta, and found that this problem is also in the "stable" version 1.6. Affinity Photo Stroke style Texturized Line Style NEVER WORK!

I can create a line with brush stroke in Affinity Designer Beta, copy it and paste it in Affinity Photo Beta. It will accept the pasted object. But does not allow to change the brush stroke.

Since Affinity Photo does not accept brush stroke (Texture Line Style), this function should not even be available in the software GUI.

AP Stroke work fine with Solid Line Style.
AP Stroke work fine with Dash Line Style
AP Stroke DOES NOT WORK with Texture Line Style. If I try do do it, the appearance is equal to Solid Line Style.

I think this is a bug that should be fixed. And if this is not a function of Affinity Photo, it should really be removed from the program interface.

AP Brush Stroke.png

I do not have or use Designer, but in Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.209 the Dirk Wustenhagen Fine Art Texture Collection brushes seem to work as texture.

Machine: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit up-to-date per Windows Update, Service Pack 1, Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, Windows Experience Index 7.7 (on a scale of 1.0 to 7.9), Graphics card: GeForce GTX 970 version 385.69

Since there are numerous options for the Brush settings, I am including screen captures of the General, Dynamics, Texture, and Sub-Brush panels as well. I presently rarely use brushes, so these are almost always the default settings in the panels. Perhaps different settings of these panels causes a problem?

654016713_WorkspaceBeta1.7.0.209fortexturebrush.thumb.PNG.765e623ea04de3b0978a3d3f47ca54e4.PNG887003166_BrushGeneralBeta1.7.0.209fortexturebrush.PNG.d686788be9b0ca8c002e0ad4db2a03c0.PNG1206143784_BrushSelectionBeta1.7.0.209fortexturebrush.PNG.c9155dbbe365b480fbae47539cbb9b50.PNG550428706_BrushTextureBeta1.7.0.209fortexturebrush.PNG.0473f68ba7c142f28476cd58c243c794.PNG2117165175_BrushsubbrushesBeta1.7.0.209fortexturebrush.PNG.e4596591c096b866a5abc25676a8021b.PNG

As for now - such scenario, as mentioning vjsouza, is impossible for AP, as i know. I have an idea for using it with lettering - but could not implement it.

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

8 hours ago, 4Lakes said:

4Likes, unfortunately, you understood that I stated that AP does not work with brushes. That's not what I wrote! I wrote that AP can not apply brushes to a path outline. Read my post right.

7 hours ago, 4Lakes said:

I also tried randomly selected slider settings in the General (including Wet Edges On) and Dynamics panels. The brushes continued to work:

4Likes, I meant to apply brushes on a path outline. I think your prints showing various uses of brushes have nothing to do with the subject of my post.
Affinity Photo is UNABLE to apply brushes to a path outline, although the program interface presents this function.

From the beginning, I told SERIF staff that Affinity should be a single program, without divisions in two versions, one for photo and another for graphic design only. What happened is that programmers "forgot" to remove from the interface this function that only exists in Affinity Designer.

I think my Affinity days are coming to an end. Nothing I suggest is implemented. I will try other alternatives, like Xara or Gravit. If the Serif staff does not accept suggestions, why do they release Beta versions?

• Staff

Hello vjsouza,

This has been an ongoing feature request for a while but it has never been implemented.

Unlike Photoshop, we are unable to stroke a path with raster brushes. It is possible in Designer's Vector Persona but not in its Pixel Persona (like Photo).

We should either implement this as a feature or make it more obvious that you are not able to do this. I apologise for any time wasted regarding this. I'll pass your feedback to the developers and update the improvement request.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hello vjsouza,

This has been an ongoing feature request for a while but it has never been implemented.

Unlike Photoshop, we are unable to stroke a path with raster brushes. It is possible in Designer's Vector Persona but not in its Pixel Persona (like Photo).

We should either implement this as a feature or make it more obvious that you are not able to do this. I apologise for any time wasted regarding this. I'll pass your feedback to the developers and update the improvement request.

Chris - do not take this as being nasty but they ignore a LOT of requests ... some don't make sense of course but some are good and would speed up workflows. They get ignored but a faction of folks that want some oddball things that I call |toys" seem to have a direct line in and get their stuff implemented. That has more than a few discouraged

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

On 1/29/2019 at 7:09 AM, Rick G said:

Chris - do not take this as being nasty but they ignore a LOT of requests ... some don't make sense of course but some are good and would speed up workflows. They get ignored but a faction of folks that want some oddball things that I call |toys" seem to have a direct line in and get their stuff implemented. That has more than a few discouraged

This reminds me of the old good days when I was used to ask to add support to combine multiple layers selections, I remember I felt rather invisible at that time :61_sob::4_joy:

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

6 hours ago, verysame said:

This reminds me of the old good days when I was used to ask to add support to combine multiple layers selections, I remember I felt rather invisible at that time :61_sob::4_joy:

It is the dead silence that is discouraging.. Yet I remember after installing one beta a paste would land somewhere up in the northeast corner of the screen. I don't recall anyone asking for that behavior but there it was. Thankfully it was removed

Actually I could sort of tell who might have been requesting that as there were one or twe who suggested to suck it up and use control+ J  instead. When I mentioned that was varying from the Photoshop replacement context I was informed that Photo is NOT a photoshop replacement even though all the advertising seems to suggest that is the market they are addressing

And yet there have been many good suggestions that would speed up workflows and ... not a word

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.