You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very First Photo with Affinity

RayCJ

This is the first picture I attempted to post-process using Affinity Photo.  This was finished a couple hours after loading the Demo software.  I'm fairly new to digital photography editing and only used some other software for a couple weeks.   When I discovered Affinity and loaded the Demo software, it seemed just perfect and immediately, I wanted to start learning the keyboard shortcut keys. 

This picture is not very creative and the image was captured in a few moments in front of my house just to test a new macro lens.   The background blur (bokeh) is totally natural from the lens.  The processing was to make a mask to separate and de-saturate the background and add a tiny bit of saturation to the curly twig.  It was a fun first project with Affinity. 

Regards

Ray

P1000655-Twisty Twig

I think your image is lovely in its simplicity. It is a wonderful "first photo." Welcome to the club...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

22 minutes ago, smadell said:

I think your image is lovely in its simplicity. It is a wonderful "first photo." Welcome to the club...

Thank you for the kind words.  -Much appreciated!

I'm enjoying digital photography.   No chemicals, or countless hours in the darkroom.   I am spending a good bit of time at the computer learning this new software though  :S

Ray

Well done! You have brought out the foreground from the background nicely, despite that they are not too different in hue.

What lens and aperture did you use?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

6 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Well done! You have brought out the foreground from the background nicely, despite that they are not too different in hue.

What lens and aperture did you use?

John

Thank you John!

The lens is a Leica (made for Panasonic) DG Macro-Elmarit  45mm F2.8 (the camera is a Panasonic/Lumix G9).  The shot was at f4.5, 1/200, ISO 200.   A tripod was needed because the subject distance was about 30cm (1ft) or so.  [FYI:  The camera is a 4:3 sensor format, the crop factor is 2x so, the equivalent focal length is 90mm].  I needed f4.5 on this shot to force the image to have two focus zones through the image plane.   I tried to re-position for a 3rd focal point but, it didn't work out.

BTW:  The curly twig is from a wisteria bush in front of my house.

Ray

Oh, BTW:  The twisty vine is only about 3 inches (~8.5cm) from the bottom to where it intersects the diagonal twig with buds on it.   The little loop at the bottom is about 3/4" (~2cm) in diameter.   It's a wee little thing and in the summertime, tiny hummingbirds perch on branches like that.   If I somehow manage to get a photo that close-up of a hummingbird using a macro lens, I suspect there will be a Pulizter prize in store for me ;).

Ray