You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Workbook— Is it suited/ for iPad version?

I have purchased Affinity for use on my brand new iPad Pro 12.9. I also just purchased the Affinity Workbook, thinking it would help me get started with Affinity on my iPad Pro. However, the book seems to assume use of the Windows or Mac version. It mentions the iPad version on page 2 bu all the menus look different, etc. Have I made a mistake purchasing the book?

• Staff

Hi Harvey U,

Welcome to the forum.

The Workbooks have been designed to be used alongside the tools and menus found in the desktop versions of our Affinity apps. Most, if not all of the same adjustments can be made in the iPad version but the menus and steps to reproduce them do differ from the desktops.

Thank you, Lee for your response and the welcome. It would be helpful if the description of the text on Amazon would mention that the book is not well suited to the iPad version. I will return the book to Amazon and focus on the training videos instead.

Harvey

Although the menu layouts are different, the features and concepts (Personas and Studios) are the same. There are some features not yet available on iPad that are on the desktop version, but I suspect most of the tutorials shown could be completed easily on the iPad. The need to look for the 'equivalent' menu location on the iPad may even assist learning. Maybe complete a few beginner tunes to get a feel for iPad and use the workbook for learning 'advanced ' techniques.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Great idea! I have started to get a feel for the iPad interface from watching some tutorials and taking a few photos with the iPad and then applying some of Affinity's adjustments. I also took a look at the exercises in the book and I think I can learn a lot from them. So thanks for the suggestion. I will keep the book. 

So now I am trying to learn Affinity using the exercises in the book and a new problem has emerged: The links in the book to the exercises do not work. When I tried to access https://affin.co/photocoreskills, nothing happened. When I tried https://affin.co/mamtor, The same thing—the blue line on the iPad stopped about 30% of the way across the screen. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for some more help.

Harvey

I am still having fits accessing the files for Chapter 2 of the Affinity Photo Workbook. I downloaded the Mamtor zip file onto my iCloud; I can “preview” the files but I can’t seem to access them from Affinity.

The situation with the photocoreskills file is even worse; it will not download.

Please help!

Harvey

• Staff

Do you have a device other than the iPad to download the zip files and put the affinity files inside onto iCloud perhaps?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Harvey U.Try downloading to Documents (a free Readdle app). You can set up nested folders, it will unzip and play any videos and you can access the folders from APhoto easily. If you use Safari on the iPad to download the file, when it finishes downloading use the Copy to or Open in menu to select Documents. This will move and unzip the file in Documents. They go into a Download's folder. You can leave them there or create any folder arrangement you like. Then on iPad choose Open from Cloud and navigate the Files app to the Documents folder and tap on the .afphoto file or image you wish to open. For video, PDF or other Docs, just open Documents, navigate to the file and tap it. Too easy... :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Patrick--

Problem solved when I called Apple.

The downloads of the files from www.affin.co to my iPad Pro as well as to my MacBook were actually working but because I had so many programs open on both (and neither was connected to power), their download was just very, very slow. I found this out when I called Apple and the tech helped me solve the problem. After plugging in both devices and clearing out all the other programs i had open, the downloads completed within a tolerable amount of time. I also had not realized how large those demo files were.

Thanks again for your help.

Harvey

On 1/22/2019 at 7:12 PM, DM1 said:

Although the menu layouts are different, the features and concepts (Personas and Studios) are the same. There are some features not yet available on iPad that are on the desktop version, but I suspect most of the tutorials shown could be completed easily on the iPad. The need to look for the 'equivalent' menu location on the iPad may even assist learning. Maybe complete a few beginner tunes to get a feel for iPad and use the workbook for learning 'advanced ' techniques.

I tried your suggestion but quickly realized that there are just too many differences between the iPad and Mac/Windows versions so that working through the examples in the Workbook was simply too tedious. I am returning the book to Amazon and going back to the videos. Too bad--I think the book could have been helpful, especially from Chapter 3 on.

Harvey