You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In the Affinity Photo Workbook exercise "Peak Country  1: Mam Tor" (page 138), the exported JPEG is not as sharp as the adjusted TIFF image before export. All settings were followed carefully. I don't see this type of loss when exporting a TIFF from DxO Photo Lab 2 to LIghtroom 6, then exporting a JPEG from LR. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Affinity Photo 1.6.7, Mac OS 10.11.6, Dell E2210H monitor, calibrated with Spyder3 Pro.

• Staff

Thanks for that Gerry, if you change the Resample dropdown from Bilinear to Lanczos 3 Separable then you will find the exported JPEG slightly sharper than when using Bilinear. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

11 hours ago, Gerry Fraiberg said:

I had to recreate the exercise to get a screen grab of the Export settings. The original JPEG file earlier today was 26.1 MB. This one is 19.2 MB

As far as I know, I followed the Workbook faithfully. 

For the file size test, instead of recreating the exercise, maybe try this instead:

1. Open the mam_tor.afphoto file (not the tiff) from the unzipped mam_tor download
2. Open the Snapshots panel, select the "05. Finishing Touches" snapshot, & click the "New Document from Snapshot" button:
421271371_snapshotpanelsetting.jpg.d5abfd2bfca7ac7822abd2e93b07fef1.jpg
3. Now, export this new document using the settings on page 151. You should get a file size very nearly the same as shown in the export dialog on that page.

Some of the other exercises mention snapshot resources like this exercise does at the top of page 150. When you see them, they always refer to an .afphoto file included in the download. They can be handy for comparing your work to the author's, & for things like this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7