You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello I just downloaded the latest version of publisher and started the installation. As I often do I let installations do their thing on the background and I do other things, but while I was working on something else the installation finished and suddenly I got a "restarting" windows 10 screen!

What I lost is minimal but shouldn't there be a warning or something? I didn't even got a "setup finished please restart" or "system restart is required". It just restarted.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

On 1/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, nitro912gr said:

As I often do I let installations do their thing on the background and I do other things

Could that be the reason?  Is it not always considered best practice to allow installers to run without any potential "interference" from other running apps which might e.g. "lock" system files which are needed by the running installer?  (Some software installers even suggest that AV be turned off.)  The reboot would then be required to "release" the locked files and allow the installation to complete.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, nitro912gr said:

while I was working on something else the installation finished and suddenly I got a "restarting" windows 10 screen!

Perhaps any "warning" screen about this was hidden behind whatever other app you had open at the time?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I don't know, it is not like the install was interrupted, publisher works fine and it was not some crash, it had initiated a proper restart sequence.

Maybe it had a count down timer that I missed because I was focused on another task?

At first I though that maybe windows update gone rogue but there was no updates pending neither any update screen in reboot.

Anyway I just report it, I'm not fully aware of what happened because it happened so fast and I had my mind on what I haven't saved at the moment than to see what is going on.

I will give it a try again today to reinstall on top of the current installation again to check the behavior.

edit, ok so I uninstalled and reinstalled and nothing happened. Maybe some bug with update from the previous version? I don't recall which one I had but I haven't updated for a couple of months so I probably skipped an update or two.

Edited by nitro912gr
added to the story

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.