You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: text outlines / embedding text

Welcome to the Affinity forum, Yvette.

To convert to curves, select the text layer in the Layers panel. Then from the Menu bar, Layer > Convert to Curves.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, YvetteS said:

Hi,

I am using a font that is not standard and the printshop does not recognize it. They asked me to embed my text / converted it to outlines. How do I do this in Publisher? 

Thanks, 

Yvette

Just wondering, what format are you sending to the printshop? Shouldn't you be able to print easily as JPG, PNG or PDF no matter whether or not their platform has the font?

7 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

Shouldn't you be able to print easily as JPG, PNG or PDF

PDF is generally the preferred format.

If the fonts are embedded in the PDF file then yes, otherwise no.

While fonts can be embedded using the Affinity programs, one catch is that it is mostly all-or-nothing: you embed all of the (non-standard?) fonts, or none of them.

If any of your fonts are licensed in such a way that you cannot legally embed them, this means that you can't embed any of them.

11 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

...Shouldn't you be able to print easily as JPG, PNG or PDF no matter whether or not their platform has the font?

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

PDF is generally the preferred format.

If the fonts are embedded in the PDF file then yes, otherwise no...

Some print establishments simply use out-dated or improper methods for imposing and/or processing PDFs. Often this involves Illustrator or old RIPs, etc., that, like current Affinity applications, cannot process PDFs without having the fonts required. And other print establishments may need to alter submitted PDFs for legitimate reasons and Illy is horrible at that task. There are processes that these establishments can use if they are willing to invest some money whereby they can silently outline (convert to curves) any and all text without needing to have the fonts. They simply don't invest int he applications that can do so.

15 hours ago, fde101 said:

While fonts can be embedded using the Affinity programs, one catch is that it is mostly all-or-nothing: you embed all of the (non-standard?) fonts, or none of them.

with convert to curves I can embed each text separately, correct? or is there another/better way to do this in Publisher? 

3 hours ago, YvetteS said:

with convert to curves I can embed each text separately, correct?

Yes, but when you convert to curves you lose hinting, which can cause text to become less clear and readable at smaller sizes.  If there is a lot of text involved, it can also bloat the size of the file that gets produced.

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Yes, but when you convert to curves you lose hinting, which can cause text to become less clear and readable at smaller sizes.  If there is a lot of text involved, it can also bloat the size of the file that gets produced.

I have small text (6pt), but not much. What would be the best way to outline it (as my printshop requires)? 

27 minutes ago, YvetteS said:

I have small text (6pt), but not much. What would be the best way to outline it 

Others on the forum with more experience dealing with outside printers might have better ideas but if the font can't be provided to the print shop for licensing reasons (or because of limitations on their end) I would probably be more inclined to rasterize the text rather than converting it to curves if the text is that small, making sure to rasterize it at the same resolution it will be printed at.  Just do that in a *copy* of your document (or duplicate the layer containing the text and hide the original, rasterizing the duplicate) before creating the PDF for the printer, so that if you need to change it later on you still have the original layer to work with.