Jaffa

Panels that I used in previous image, don't show in next

To give a small example - I edit an image and, at a minimum, I have open the Layers panel and the History panel.  Next day, I want to edit an image and open it up.  The Layers Panel usually shows, but the History Panel is not there.  How peculiar that I have to then go View>Studio>History.   Seems bizarre, because I would have thought that Affinity Photo would open up with the panels you have previously used as default.    Is there something I can do please?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Nik Collection

Amd processor 6 Core,  8 Mgs RAM

You have to save the document with history in order to see the history from close of file. File > Save history with document, when you next open the file the history will be there and you can scroll back and forth until you start to edit the file.

In the 1.7 beta history works a little bit differently.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You have to save the document with history in order to see the history from close of file. File > Save history with document, when you next open the file the history will be there and you can scroll back and forth until you start to edit the file.

That's certainly true. But it sounds like @Jaffa was saying that the History panel is missing, not merely empty. Shouldn't the panel have been present upon restart?

The topic title is a bit misleading, I think, because the Studio panel status is not saved with a document. It's an application-wide setting.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.257 Beta

Yes, Walt, it is not the actual history I am talking about, you are right.   Logic tells me that most, if not all, users would like a minimum of panels viewable immediately upon starting to edit a new document.  I would like Layers, Channels, History, Colours - indeed, any panel that I used with the previously edited document.  To go into Studio for the ones missing seems a terrible waste of time to me!

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Nik Collection

Amd processor 6 Core,  8 Mgs RAM

2 hours ago, Jaffa said:

I would like Layers, Channels, History, Colours - indeed, any panel that I used with the previously edited document.  To go into Studio for the ones missing seems a terrible waste of time to me!

It's not supposed to be "the ones used with the previously edited document". The studio settings are supposed to be application-wide, persisting across documents, and (to some extent) across restarts of the Affinity application.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.257 Beta

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not supposed to be "the ones used with the previously edited document". The studio settings are supposed to be application-wide, persisting across documents, and (to some extent) across restarts of the Affinity application.

That is how it works for me (& I think for other users as well) so if it is not for @Jaffa then there is something unusual going on in his system that prevents it from working that way.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1