You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been experimenting with Affinity Photo

uxdesignerwt

I was doing some experimenting with Affinity Photo. There are so many ways to do things and workflows. Also, everything is objective as far as taste. It's hard to tell if what I am making is good or not. Sometimes it feels like I'm just pressing buttons. I would appreciate your feedback. I am just starting out with photo editing. Some of you pros out there can help me develop my skills.

Warwick_BA.afphoto

Warwick BA pic.jpg

13 hours ago, uxdesignerwt said:

It's hard to tell if what I am making is good or not

What were you trying to achieve in your version of the image?

Were you just wanting to take the original image and just enhance it a bit and thus keep it looking realistic?

Or were you trying to radically change it into something else with a bit more energy/vibrancy and not worrying about if it looked realistic or not?

Both approaches are OK but I really don't know what you wanted to do with the original image, so it's hard to know how to reply to your post.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl123 is absolutely right - there is no correct answer to the question "how should this photo look?" and especially not the question "is this a good photo?"

I can only give you my own impression, although it certainly may not reflect what your goal was. To me, the thing that I would work on is the highlights, especially in the waves. They are almost blown out (although a look at the histogram - even of the small, downloaded JPG) shows that there is still some recover-able detail. I took the "Shadows and Highlights" Live Filter, and pulled back the highlights quite a bit; it revealed a lot of detail in the wave that gets lost otherwise. Other than that, a little contrast with the Curves adjustment, and a little Sharpening.

Again, this is what I would do, and should NOT be construed to be "the right answer."

890760242_SurferEdited.thumb.jpg.18c05c1e27e6318431f05e8740fc5ac9.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 1 month later...

I guess everything is subjective. I didn't really have an end result in mind before I started. I was just playing around with some filters. You will get more of an idea of what you want after you experiment and get to know the software. I haven't gotten a chance to dig into this software.  I am new to photo editing in general. I am trying to figure out what everything does. There are so many options. When you start adding layers to that, things can get crazy.

APhoto certainly has the tools to let you think "outside the box" but you do have to dig around to find some of them. 

As regards your original edit, have a look at the Tone Mapping Persona (and the drop down categories) which can create some "crazy" results with very little effort  

outsidethebox.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

22 minutes ago, carl123 said:

APhoto certainly has the tools to let you think "outside the box" but you do have to dig around to find some of them. 

As regards your original edit, have a look at the Tone Mapping Persona (and the drop down categories) which can create some "crazy" results with very little effort  

outsidethebox.jpg

Did this come by UPS, FEdEx, or Amazon?   FUN!!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Inspired by Carl, so I had to have a play with this during my morning Earl Grey :)
1854591276_ScreenShot2019-02-25at08_37_14.png.a792dadf3c182f0d116146d1a8fcd861.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Inspired by Carl, so I had to have a play with this during my morning Earl Grey :)
1854591276_ScreenShot2019-02-25at08_37_14.png.a792dadf3c182f0d116146d1a8fcd861.png

“California Dreaming,”. ???

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

4 hours ago, TomSmith said:

Wow. Is that really what you can do with Affinity Photo?!!

Photo can do “Everything but the kitchen sink,” to use an old expression.