derei

How to "release" an element from a page, that has a Master Page applied?

I have a Master Page with a text placeholder and I want to have a unique text on each page where that specific placeholder is.
The issue is that the text is between two layers, so if I take the text out of the Master Page Group, (which has been created in page's layers when I applied the master page), the text won't be between those two layers anymore (it has to be between the layers, as the layers do some blending).

So, I would like to be able to edit my text field on every page, but to not affect the Master Page. In Illustrator is possible to "release" a field so it can be edited independently from the Master Page.

Any suggestions?

On 1/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, fde101 said:

Found it.

Right-click on the master layer in the Layers studio and there is now a set of four options in the context menu, one of which can be active at a time:

• Edit Detached - this does what you are asking for.  It allows you to select items from the Master and move them around, keeping the changes independent for that page.
  • Edit Linked - this allows you to select items from the Master and move them around, but changes are propagaed back to the Master and other pages that were not modified by editing detached
  • Edit Frame Content - this is the new default behavior, in which you can enter text and the like but the positions of Master page items are locked down
  • Lock - this one prevents you from even editing text in Master page items. 

So it looks like they already did this - you just need to tell it what mode you want to be in.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

8 minutes ago, derei said:

I can't seem to find those options.

Make sure you are using the current beta.

In the Layers studio panel, with a "normal" page selected that has a master page assigned to it, there is a sort of group layer named after the master page which contains the layers that exist on the master page.  Right click on that and these options are in that context menu.

@fde101

Right-Clicking on that group of layers, on my "normal" page, shows the following menu (see attached):

AF Publisher Version: 1.7.0.206

if yours looks different, kindly please share a screenshot.

Affinity Publisher Master Page.jpg

2 minutes ago, derei said:

AF Publisher Version: 1.7.0.206

That is the problem.

The current version, in which that feature was added, is .221.

6 minutes ago, fde101 said:

That is the problem.

I didn't get any notification for update and when trying to download it, the file received is still 206. Could you please provide a download link?

Thank you.

@fde101 nvm, I found a link on the forum. Thanks for letting me know about the new version!

Publisher Version.png

18 hours ago, fde101 said:

That is the problem.

Can I ask, how did you know to Download the new update? Was there an announcement?

Additionally, between all the various updates of Affinity Publisher, will each previous saved document work on the newest publisher version? 

5 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

Can I ask, how did you know to Download the new update? Was there an announcement?

Yes, they announce them with a post in the beta bug forum for the relevant platform.

6 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

between all the various updates of Affinity Publisher, will each previous saved document work on the newest publisher version? 

They are trying for this but it is not guaranteed.

1 minute ago, kdog3682 said:

Additionally, between all the various updates of Affinity Publisher, will each previous saved document work on the newest publisher version? 

When you start Publisher it notifies you if there is a new version available.

The current version, and any new version, is always available in a pinned post at the top of the Publisher bugs forum (Mac, Windows). The creation of the new topic is one announcement. Sometime later there will also be a News post on Affinity Spotlight.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.270 Beta

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

When you start Publisher it notifies you if there is a new version available.

Only if they have it set up for self-update, at least on the Mac.

They don't always have them on self-update as soon as they are released, sometimes that lags a bit.

Just now, fde101 said:

Only if they have it set up for self-update, at least on the Mac.

They don't always have them on self-update as soon as they are released, sometimes that lags a bit.

That's probably true, even on Windows. But in my experience so far, Serif usually enables the self-update fairly quickly.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.270 Beta