You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to "release" an element from a page, that has a Master Page applied?

I have a Master Page with a text placeholder and I want to have a unique text on each page where that specific placeholder is.
The issue is that the text is between two layers, so if I take the text out of the Master Page Group, (which has been created in page's layers when I applied the master page), the text won't be between those two layers anymore (it has to be between the layers, as the layers do some blending).

So, I would like to be able to edit my text field on every page, but to not affect the Master Page. In Illustrator is possible to "release" a field so it can be edited independently from the Master Page.

Any suggestions?

On 1/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, fde101 said:

Found it.

Right-click on the master layer in the Layers studio and there is now a set of four options in the context menu, one of which can be active at a time:

• Edit Detached - this does what you are asking for.  It allows you to select items from the Master and move them around, keeping the changes independent for that page.
  • Edit Linked - this allows you to select items from the Master and move them around, but changes are propagaed back to the Master and other pages that were not modified by editing detached
  • Edit Frame Content - this is the new default behavior, in which you can enter text and the like but the positions of Master page items are locked down
  • Lock - this one prevents you from even editing text in Master page items. 

So it looks like they already did this - you just need to tell it what mode you want to be in.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

8 minutes ago, derei said:

I can't seem to find those options.

Make sure you are using the current beta.

In the Layers studio panel, with a "normal" page selected that has a master page assigned to it, there is a sort of group layer named after the master page which contains the layers that exist on the master page.  Right click on that and these options are in that context menu.

6 minutes ago, fde101 said:

That is the problem.

The current version, in which that feature was added, is .221.

I didn't get any notification for update and when trying to download it, the file received is still 206. Could you please provide a download link?

Thank you.

@fde101 nvm, I found a link on the forum. Thanks for letting me know about the new version!

Publisher Version.png

18 hours ago, fde101 said:

That is the problem.

The current version, in which that feature was added, is .221.

Can I ask, how did you know to Download the new update? Was there an announcement?

Additionally, between all the various updates of Affinity Publisher, will each previous saved document work on the newest publisher version? 

5 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

Can I ask, how did you know to Download the new update? Was there an announcement?

Yes, they announce them with a post in the beta bug forum for the relevant platform.

6 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

between all the various updates of Affinity Publisher, will each previous saved document work on the newest publisher version? 

They are trying for this but it is not guaranteed.

1 minute ago, kdog3682 said:

Additionally, between all the various updates of Affinity Publisher, will each previous saved document work on the newest publisher version? 

When you start Publisher it notifies you if there is a new version available.

The current version, and any new version, is always available in a pinned post at the top of the Publisher bugs forum (Mac, Windows). The creation of the new topic is one announcement. Sometime later there will also be a News post on Affinity Spotlight.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

When you start Publisher it notifies you if there is a new version available.

Only if they have it set up for self-update, at least on the Mac.

They don't always have them on self-update as soon as they are released, sometimes that lags a bit.

Just now, fde101 said:

Only if they have it set up for self-update, at least on the Mac.

They don't always have them on self-update as soon as they are released, sometimes that lags a bit.

That's probably true, even on Windows. But in my experience so far, Serif usually enables the self-update fairly quickly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

NOTE 2020

see Affinity Help:

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Pages/masterPages.html?title=Master%20pages

"To detach or link a master page"

In my opinion the text in the help-file is not 100% clear - you have to right-Click on a top-level-layer to get the detach option.

- the missing point: now you get an orange bar at the top of the window,

As long as this bar is active, you have to do the edits, you click finish as soon as you want to leave this special "mode".

Just to make this topic more visible:
In Indesign the specific workflow is described as "Override master page items"
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/override-master-pages.html
normally done with a shortcut left klick with Command+Shift keys (macOS) or Ctrl+Shift keys (Windows)  - this won t work in Affinity.

hope that helps - by the way it would be very cool:

-> topics and answers would be marked as "solved" 

-> solutions would be transfered to the help

-> come comment-Functionality in the help, to improve it

best - Tom

4 hours ago, tom zuerich said:

-> come comment-Functionality in the help, to improve it

Hi @tom zuerich,

welcome to the forum. I think your suggestions are worthwhile and helpful, thanks. But...

...sorry, can't help it. The last thing I want to see are user comments in the help file. Look around in the forum and you will find a multitude of opinions which is fine for a forum. But not in the help.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 9/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, dominik said:

The last thing I want to see are user comments in the help file.

Not as such, but something more like the "talk" / "discussion" pages on a media wiki site might be useful as a means by which to provide more targeted feedback to the documentation team, if provided on the online version of the help (affinity.help site)?

That would be sort of "attached" to a help topic but still on a separate page with the interface making it relatively clear that it is out of band with the actual help text...

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

Not as such, but something more like the "talk" / "discussion" pages on a media wiki site might be useful as a means by which to provide more targeted feedback to the documentation team

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

I do think a wiki space could be helpful to point people to common usage and tips/tricks or tutorials and languages added by users.

I do get your idea and this would certainly keep user created content seperate from the help itself. But essentially all you are referring to is already in the forum. From own expierience I admit that often things are hard to find. Pages that list forum content (common solurtions, tricks, tutorials, etc.) would perhaps be easier to maintain. But, still, this needs a lot of dedication.

To me one of the strong things about Serif is that they provide these forums here. To me it makes more sense to bundle up contributions as much as possible in here.

d.

PS: and, yes, the last couple of postings are rather off topic :11_blush:

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil