You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

if I take photos with my camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC G81) with aspect ratio 16:9 and open them with preview on my Mac everything is fine and I see them in 4592 × 2584 pixels.

But if I open them in Affinity Photo my photos are shown in 4608 x 3464 pixels.

Do anyone have an idea how Affinity can show my photos with correct aspect ratio?

Thanks and best regards

Jonas

2 hours ago, JonasH said:

But if I open them in Affinity Photo my photos are shown in 4608 x 3464 pixels.

Interesting. I assume you're using raw. In that case, I might have expected 4608 x 2592.

Many cameras provide a larger image area than they advertise, and many raw development programs ignore the excess and show you only the advertised number of pixels. The Serif raw engine shows you everything, in case you consider the outer edges usable for your purposes.

But I would not have expected an additional 880 px; just a few more.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi JonasH

As @walt.farrell has said, we are able to show more of the image, unlike other apps.  If you'd rather have this extra data discarded , if you switch the Apple Core Image RAW Engine in Affinity the image will be opened at the 4592 × 2584.  To switch the RAW Engine, open a RAW file and click View>Assistant Manager and change the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW) then close and reopen the RAW file.

One thing, i also wouldn't of expected an additional 880px so it might be happy to you can provide a sample file just so i can confirm whats going on.  In a sample i grabbed online, the image was opened at 4608 x 3464 instead of 4592 x 34480.  So would be interesting to see where the extra 800 pixels is coming from in your files.