You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to stop the document (canvas) from moving around...

Hi 

does anyone have any idea how to stop (or disable) the document (canvas) from moving around. 

It can be a bit annoying when you slightly touch the mouse and it would cause the document to move.

This issue also happen when click and hold the mouse to select objects in the document, but when you release it to confirm your selection, the document would sometime jump a little bit.

May I request for the next update to allow users to disable the document from moving around? :)

I'm not aware that you can move canvas. I think what you referring to is your object. If that's the case, you can lock the object, the option to lock object in on the layer panel, it has a lock symbol, click that will lock the selected object.

Hi agoago, thanks for your reply.

I'm referring to the canvas not the object.  

You can move the canvas around by just simply touching the top of the mouse - it is especially useful, for example, when you already zoomed into the canvas and you wanted to view another part of the canvas. How do you view other part of the canvas when in zoom?

Anyway, it just a bit annoying because sometime I would accidentally touch the top of the mouse, which cause the canvas to move a little bit. My friend had the same complain too.

In some packages, when the canvas is in full view, the user is not allow to move the canvas around, but allow to only when he/she zoomed into the canvas - so he/she can view other part of the canvas. In fact, this is feature would be great too for the Affinity Designer.

I'm using version 1.2

Thanks

MonkeyFire,

I'm also under the impression, like agoago, that you can't move the canvas. I think what you are experiencing is you are moving the scroll bars, this is very different from moving the canvas. You are moving your view of the canvas but you aren't moving the canvas. If you look under the preferences you will see a preference for the middle wheel, you can turn it off there (even if you don't have an actual physical wheel, some mice are touch sensitive and the top may be acting like a scroll wheel). Please see my attachment for a better description. You didn't say what mouse you are using but I'm guessing that the "top of the mouse" is set to be the scroll wheel and so Affinity is scrolling. You might also be able to adjust the settings of your mouse but I'm not sure. I hope this helps.

Hokusai

post-3209-0-86419300-1428836847_thumb.png

• Staff

Hello MonkeyFire,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no way to turn off the panning when you are using a Magic Mouse (i'm not sure how it works for other brands with sensitive surfaces). Maybe we should add an option to disable it in the preferences... I've found advantages and disadvantages in both situations.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Hi MEB,

yes, I'm using the Apple's Magic Mouse - the problem is that my fingers are resting on top of the mouse and all it takes is a slight finger movement...  

I agreed that there are advantages and disadvantage in both situations.

But it would be nice if I could have an option that allows panning only when I'm already zoomed into the canvas and the panning would automatically switch off  whenever the canvas is in full view - that way i can rest my little fingers on my Magic Mouse without worrying about accidental panning - as I think panning is not necessary when the canvas is in full view and also make life slightly easier for any Magic Mouse user  :) For example, I'm use Pixelmator (image editor) that has this feature too.

Anyway, I still love using the Affinity Designer no matter what :)

+1 to what MonkeyFire suggests.  I'm also using the Magic Mouse with Affinity Photo & find it very annoying & time consuming to keep having to move the photo image being worked on because it keeps jumping around on the screen.  It does seem to be more of an issue with the mouse, but have not had this problem at all with Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture, so not sure what was done in those programs to prevent it.  But the option suggested above would be at least one solution, albeit not a perfect one.  Also still loving working with Affinity Photo & looking forward to the final release.

Miguel, a checkbox on the Context Toolbar would do it. While we're at it, how about another option for always keeping the image centered in the window would be most welcomed. When resizing windows for side by side comparisons, I usually have to perform the extra steps of switching to the pan tool and recentering the image in the window ... so something like Lock and Center Canvas in the Context Toolbar would be awesome!

Thanks for listening!

Hello MonkeyFire,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no way to turn off the panning when you are using a Magic Mouse (i'm not sure how it works for other brands with sensitive surfaces). Maybe we should add an option to disable it in the preferences... I've found advantages and disadvantages in both situations.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I agree this always happens to me but only in Affinity when using my magic mouse, never with Adobe products or Aperture :/

+1 to what MonkeyFire suggests.  I'm also using the Magic Mouse with Affinity Photo & find it very annoying & time consuming to keep having to move the photo image being worked on because it keeps jumping around on the screen.  It does seem to be more of an issue with the mouse, but have not had this problem at all with Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture, so not sure what was done in those programs to prevent it.  But the option suggested above would be at least one solution, albeit not a perfect one.  Also still loving working with Affinity Photo & looking forward to the final release.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

...Maybe also an additional 'lock' button somewhere in the toolbar for quick access (not hidden away in the preference for example) that allow you to quickly lock/unlock the canvas too - especially useful when you are zoomed in, working on a small part of the canvas without worrying about accidental panning.

• 4 months later...

This is a constant problem for me, in both Designer and in Photo.

I think the problem stems from the fact that even if I have a photo or design open and it takes up less than the full workspace - the scroll bars are still active.  They shouldn't be.

If the image does NOT overflow the workspace, why are there even scrollbars there?

I fully understand the need to scroll vertically and horizontally if zoomed in to only a part of the image, so that the magnified image extends beyond the visible workspace.

But a photo, for example, that is sitting in the middle of the workspace, with blank workspace all around it, should NOT have any scroll bars there at all, and certainly not active ones.

I'm always just touching the top of my Magic Mouse (yeah, I know, it'll send me blind ;) ) and the problem of the jumping image is really annoying.

@pentaxian

I can understand your problem and it's valid but I don't think your solution is as straight forward as you point it out.

Just image that one wants so focus on some things at the edge of an image and therefore centeres the image.

Although it may not be your workflow I can see this a possible one.

Peace :)

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I think found the solution, is a bit annoying solution. 

Go the system preference>Accessibility and on the mouse and trackpad>Mouse Options you can turn off the scrolling, or change its speed.

But if you want to go back to any other application you need to turn it on.

Hope helps for now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my voice here. This problem is a pain in the rear. Please find a way to fix it. All we need is the ability to temporarilly lock the artboard in the current view. I wouldn't want to lose panning all together — so a preferences setting wouldn't be good. Maybe add something to the context menu to lock and unlock.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...