You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to stop the document (canvas) from moving around...

• Staff
1 hour ago, matt said:

What did the fix entail? 

I've simply disallowed attempts to scroll whilst in a mouse drag - I'm not sure how many people were honestly benefitting from the ability to do that anyway (probably just me, haha!) so it's not a great loss and simplifies a number of things...

(I'm packaging up the new beta and uploading it right now - should add a post for it in a few minutes so you can give it a try!)

That's great news MattP.

I can confirm that using an old mouse-mat has seriously reduced the problem for me.  However, I'm very happy to have it fixed your way, because for Wacom users like me, a mouse-mat means having it out to the side and as I know to my pain, RSI can wreck your shoulder tendons if you're holding a mouse out to the side for extended periods/hours/days/weeks/months/years.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

21 hours ago, MattP said:

I've simply disallowed attempts to scroll whilst in a mouse drag - I'm not sure how many people were honestly benefitting from the ability to do that anyway (probably just me, haha!) so it's not a great loss and simplifies a number of things...

(I'm packaging up the new beta and uploading it right now - should add a post for it in a few minutes so you can give it a try!)

MattP,

I note that the beta is for AFDesigner.  I get this behaviour on AFPhoto.  Will your fix be applied to that as well?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 5 years later...
  • Staff

Hi @BenQ Designer Monitor,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you using a Magic Mouse (or other surface mouse) or a touchpad?

Assuming that's the case, to zoom in/out press alt and "scroll up/down" over the surface mouse. While alt is hold there should be no panning movement just zooming in/out.
Dragging over the surface of the mouse without any other key pressed should pan the canvas. This part does get a bit to get used to but after  a while it becomes second nature and works quite well. You are not the first reporting these type of issues in the beginning. I also experienced it but give it a try and things should get better. Alternatively you can use a regular scroll-wheel mouse, which does not pan the canvas every time you touch the mouse.