You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question: Making Waves with Circles

Hey Guys, 

I’m still new to graphic design, I know this is probably a simple question but I can’t seem to figure out how to replicate this.  I was watching the Aaron Draplin video below. Around the 9:30 mark he uses circles to make water waves. I tried to figure it out but I can’t seem to figure out how to replicate what he is doing. The closest I can get is align a bunch of circles with no stroke and combine the circles. Next, I put a rectangle over top and then subtract from the circles. What am I missing?  I’m using designer on IPad. Thanks. 

Hi, I think you will get more attention to your question if you post in the Question part of the forum.
However, there's several ways to achieve the waves.
One easy way is to make two cirkles, place one on top of the other, partly ovelapping. Select both cirkles and  subtract.
You can now dupicate the shape.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

1 minute ago, Madame said:

Hi, I think you will get more attention to your question if you post in the Question part of the forum.

I see it's been moved now. ;) 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi, HDoowop,

Part of the problem, I'm sure, is due to the fact Illustrator has a different interface, and different terminology, etc. etc. So, you have to do a translation, and then figure out how Designer does it. IMO, best to ignore Illustrator tutes. It like having to learn a different language to use tools one may or may have not, and that work a bit different anyway.

My attempt started by using the ellipse tool to make circles that had thick strokes. I duplicated them horizontally, making sure they were all aligned to bottom. Selected all and did the "add."  Changed to the node tool, and selected all the upper nodes, and the 2 sides nodes. Did a "break" operation. Selected all the broken parts, and deleted. Selected the remains, and set the fill to "none."

Really, not much to it. I don't use the iPad version much, and I spent most of my time trying to remember where the options were. On the desktop, w. I use mostly, its about a 30 second operation, if that.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@Madame @gdenby @Wosven

Thank you to all of you guys for taking the time to reply. I was able to follow your steps and achieve what I wanted. 

@gdenby I definitely get what your saying about not following Illustratior tutorials because of the different features and naming conventions. I guess I’m just trying to take the approach of challenging myself to get to know Designer so well that I  am able to look at pretty much whatever  and reproduce it. You guys made it look really easy lol.  I definitely need to mess around with the break, join, and close curve options some more to understand them better.  

Thanks again. 

You can do this a similar way to Wosven but you break the curves nodes prior to deleting the top part, this looks more like the illustrator version but regardless the end result is the same.

1128037661_ScreenShot2019-01-20at21_38_24.png.69c42d907b97a8197dc3d1f3133ff01a.png

Select the highlighted nodes with the node tool
6235918_ScreenShot2019-01-20at21_41_05.png.81122472b5dc9d9ae3363eb049d2a4f6.png

Should end up with this
1893780686_ScreenShot2019-01-20at21_46_26.png.dbba519bbd1623e5793fa8326781f733.png

Same result, slightly different method
386227726_ScreenShot2019-01-20at21_47_52.png.9d61ebec12d8fba3116d4f16f08f4590.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions