You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numbering on master pages in v. 221

The glyphs are nice, but the process to correctly use master pages to number document pages still has to be the same as before.   If working with facing master pages, one still has to enter a page marker (glyph) on the left  master page, then copy it and drag the copy over to the right master page in order to get the correct numbering sequence for document pages.    If you simply put glyphs where they belong on each of the facing master pages, you get the first and second document pages both numbered as page 2.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Interesting. It seems to work as I'd expect on Windows, for what it's worth.

I created a 5 page document with facing pages, and one Master. I created a Text Frame for the page number on the left Master, and created another on the right Master. All pages had proper numbers assigned.

pagenumbering.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am using MAC Sierra.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

I am using MAC Sierra.

Page numbers work as expected here too, Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra too.

However I do find that the same glyph being used for all three flavours of page number is quite confusing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:12 AM, Old Bruce said:

Page numbers work as expected here too, Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra too.

However I do find that the same glyph being used for all three flavours of page number is quite confusing.

But they are not working on my MAC Sierra v. 10.12.6.    Whether I start with the left facing master page (as the tutorial shows) and using the text tool place the numbering glyph, or start on the right facing master page and place the numbering glyph, if I place them independently they produce the result I have included in the screenshot.   The Page thumbnails show the numbering correctly, but the actual pages do not.   Pages 3 and 3 (shown in thumbnail as 2,3) are followed by pages 5 and 5 (shown in the thumbnail as 4,5).  However, if I use the method shown in the original tutorial, and place the glyph on one facing master page, and then either copy and drag or copy and paste it to the other facing master page, the numbering works correctly.  I had hoped that there might be a simpler way.    Anyway, knowing that it doesn't work the way I might like it, I am perfectly happy with working with it the way it wants to.   In the scheme of things, it is a very slight detail!!    P.S.   The screen shot does not show that the thumbnail for Pages 2,3 is highlighted.751324968_ScreenShot2019-01-21at1_33_16PM.thumb.png.38807f11058ed0c75f90ac8d0cf10b1c.png

8 hours ago, Pebowski said:

It also works fine here on Mac. I create a textbook on the left master page, then Text - Insert - Fields - Page Number

On 1/19/2019 at 9:31 PM, walt.farrell said:

I created a 5 page document with facing pages, and one Master. I created a Text Frame for the page number on the left Master, and created another on the right Master. All pages had proper numbers assigned.

Hi folks, the automatic page number begins usually with 1. How can I start the automatic page number with e.g. 5 for book production?

Thanks for help

Cheers, Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

1 hour ago, Puck said:

Hi folks, the automatic page number begins usually with 1. How can I start the automatic page number with e.g. 5 for book production?

Thanks for help

Cheers, Puck

Do you have the pages in the book, but only don't want to show it on the first 4 pages. and delete the page numbers (with the new option Edit Detached) on the first 4 pages or make a master page without page numbers and attach it to the first 4 pages.

3 hours ago, Puck said:

How can I start the automatic page number with e.g. 5 for book production?

Assuming that you have 4 pages in front that don't need a page number, create a Master Page without page numbers and apply that master page to the first 4 pages.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

3 hours ago, Pebowski said:

... or make a master page without page numbers and attach it to the first 4 pages.

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Assuming that you have 4 pages in front that don't need a page number, create a Master Page without page numbers and apply that master page to the first 4 pages.

Thank you very much, it works! If I had thought about it, I might have found it myself! Sometimes I am unfortunately impatient.

Cheers, Puck

PS. Couldn't find "(with the new option Edit Detached)"

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

15 minutes ago, Puck said:

PS. Couldn't find "(with the new option Edit Detached)"

When you are on a normal page (not Master Page) on the right side click on the tab "Layers", there you can find "Master A" (or whatever Master you have attached) - right click here and you find the options:

Edit Detached
Edit Linked
Edit Frame Content
Lock-

40 minutes ago, Pebowski said:

When you are on a normal page (not Master Page) on the right side click on the tab "Layers", there you can find "Master A" (or whatever Master you have attached) - right click here and you find the options:

Edit Detached
Edit Linked
Edit Frame Content
Lock-

Whoa! Quite a hidden feature :)

Thanks so much!

Cheers, Puck

Got the solution.   Works very smoothly now.   

2 hours ago, Pebowski said:

Yes, it took me a while, until I have found it. I only read of it in the news from the latest Beta, but there was no hint where to find it. ;-)

Again, thanks so much! That helped me a lot :)

Cheers, Puck

21 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Got the solution.   Works very smoothly now.   

In general Beta 221 runs really well. I am very satisfied :)

Regards, Puck

18 hours ago, Pauls said:

Create a section and using the section manager define the starting page number

I've tried it this way, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Regards, Puck

In bit of a aquandary here. Following the steps to place Page Numbers on a document select Master Page then Text Frame Tool to layout a location, Go up to Text Insert, then Insert Page Number. So far so good except the page number button is not there. Instead nof which we now we have a Fields button under which is the insert Page Number but it is not active.

Any ideas anyone

1 hour ago, Travis V said:

In bit of a aquandary here. Following the steps to place Page Numbers on a document select Master Page then Text Frame Tool to layout a location, Go up to Text Insert, then Insert Page Number. So far so good except the page number button is not there. Instead nof which we now we have a Fields button under which is the insert Page Number but it is not active.

Any ideas anyone

Did you click inside the new Text Frame before trying to do the insert?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi again, I just redid the whole document layout again and now it works. I think my mistake was using the move tool to activate the text box instead of leaving it activated by the Frame Text Tool. Maybe this will help someone else.

Thank you for your help

Travis

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.