You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked resource changed popups round

Hi,

I worked on a imported PDF.

At first with such documents, all images are embedded, so I linked them (export to a new folder).

• First bug: all the exported images were in negative.

Nothing happened in APub, and I keep on working on the text styles, the preview of linked images staying normal (not in negative).
But I inverted all the linked images in the folder to get the right colours, for later use (creating image frames and placing the exported images).
Nothing happened in APub about the modified images (I didn't opened the resource manager).

Many hours later, for tests purpose, I dupplicated one of the images in this same folder: it trigged a strange behaviour in APub.
For each image a popup "Linked resource changed". I thought it would end with the 23th last image's popup, but it keeps on endlessly, with or without closing the popups.

To stop this, I had to open the Resource manager and update each modified images.

• Second bug: can the popups happen only once (and earlier)?
  • and some visual warning be added to the image frame and/or image layer until the image is updated?
  • can this "visual warning" be clickable to update (or propose some usefull options: locate, update, replace, show in explorer/finder…)  the image without opening the Resource manager?

2019-01-19_093933.thumb.png.e6aa0821d694a04db1428217525f582d.png

• Staff

Hi Wosven,

The first bug you encountered with the images being negative when linked will be the same as them appearing on negative on export. This is logged with us (as well as the encoding issues on some of the example PDFs you have supplied).

The application was right to inform you the images had been modified, and we do currently have a bug logged where our popups are being duplicated which you have encountered here.

The rest of the suggestions are improvements which I can pass on. I also think we should maybe handle having so many pop ups queued a bit better.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 1/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, Wosven said:

. I thought it would end with the 23th last image's popup, but it keeps on endlessly, with or without closing the popups.

Nice to know Publisher even survived this. 23 seem to work.

I changed the icc profile of 100 images in batch with exiftool while Publisher was open and it crashed reproduceable due to this.

I did not report it as a bug as I'm not sure if it's build for mass changes.

Closing the app before the change and opening it after (so skipping the pop ups) worked even for 200 images.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

@Steps,

The strange part is APub didn't noticed when I get back the 23 images to non-negative, but it began the popups round when I duplicated (= added) a new image in the same folder. Does it check first for modification in folders?

It seems yours was checking at the same moment? When adding fonts with NexusFonts, APub or AD need some time to process changes… (they don't like it, and I had to close NexusFont first if I wanted to start Designer).

A general message/popup with a list of modified files/added fonts is perhaps a solution, or an indicator with an option to update an image if we need it before the cycle's end (I suppose APub doesn't check for modified files each second, but each x minutes).
It's usually at the last minute we need to apply a modification before an export to PDF, it would be handy.

In my case exiftool changed the modification date and Publisher immediatly began to spawn popups.

Shortly after that the UI freezed and a minute later it crashed.

Currently it does not expect mass changes.

But it works quite nice if I change just one image at a time by retouching it with Photoshop. This is the intented use.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

@Jon P Will this crashing issue get fixed?

Serious question as I would understand if this is just not a regular use case. I can close the document before apply batch changes.

• Staff

A crash even if not a regular use case should never really exist, as much fun as it is to look for them in QA.

When looking into this I did update 100+ images at once in a batch command and the app didn't crash, it just had around 200 pop ups to get through due to the above bug.

I'll have another go at changing metadata like you did and see if I can get it to crash.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had the crash, perhaps because I only have 30-40 external references but it is a pain to have to close all the message boxes.. This only seems to have occurred, for me, with the .238 version.  Also, references to cloud locations (Onedrive) that are only in the cloud (not downloaded to the PC) show as "Missing" in the Resource Manager.

3 minutes ago, willernest said:

Also, references to cloud locations (Onedrive) that are only in the cloud (not downloaded to the PC) show as "Missing" in the Resource Manager

I don't think I'd expect anything different, for that. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.