Rocketdrive

[By Design] PDF export troubles with Designer

Hey there, I just tried to export a PDF from Designer. It took 17 minutes and was ... empty, at least in Preview as well as when imported to Photoshop. Would devs mind looking at the files?

Designer file: 12000 x 1600 mm banner, CMYK at 300 dpi
MacBook Pro 2016 nTB

Hi,

We already talked about PDF size limit (200 in width or height)… I just need to find the related thread!

Oups, after searching for those threads, it's more, like you say, a problem with your file than with PDF limitations that happen only with Adobe acrobat, sorry :S

Search results

Edited by Wosven
Added comment and link

I think PDF maximum size is 5m or thereabouts so I'm not surprised the PDF was empty. Banners really don't need to be 300dpi. For something that size 100 would be fine. Personally for a 12m x 1.6m banner I'd work at 96ppi and make a jpeg file, not a PDF. If you are outsourcing the banner printing I'd contact the printers & ask them what they'd want.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

@Rocketdrive

Check first with your document (hiding layers?) with less objects, since my search and a test with an APub document of same size as yours (but only text in it) produce a fine PDF.

Sorry for misleading you with my first post.

@Wosven never mind, it was actually a good hint. I just had tested the original file with AFPub, which took as long and produced a PDF as unuseable.

After reading comments from You and @MickRose I reduced the dimensions to 4000 x 500 mm (a third). Export was a lot faster (around 2 min) and yielded a useable PDF with totally manageable 9 MB in Designer. I tried the same in Publisher, with exact the same results.

So, thanks, guys.

Glad that you've sorted the export out. Just bear this in mind though - PDFs can contain lots of elements that some older arge format RIPs might struggle with, particularly transparency. Thats why I always use JPEGs - just for peace of mind when sending a file.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Fortunately the particular printing company I am working with for my customers is tested and trusted with all kinds of PDFs I've thrown at them. But I guess You're right in many other cases.