You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer- font weight difference between directly typing and copy/paste from other source

• Staff

Hi BallyShannon,

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. I have followed this thread if this happens again make another post here and I will look into this further with you :)

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Well, after thinking all is well, it's doing it again. This time it was pasted text from an e-mail. I closed Designer, re-opened and still comes in as bold even when font characteristics are set to Arial Narrow regular (non-bold) 11pt. Have no idea what's going on. See screen capture below. Left is typed directly onto page, right is pasted text set to the exact font characteristics as the directly typed text.

Font weight difference.jpg

Have you tried Edit > Paste Without Format?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you tried Edit > Paste Without Format?

Yes. The copied text is brought in as a group of images, not text, which won't work at all!

I just tried something that seems to work. When text is pasted, the paragraph style shows "[No Style]" and when changing that to "Body", the text changes to normal non-bold. I then change the character info to Arial Narrow 11pt with "No Style" selected, and it's good to go. I've tried it several times with text from different e-mails and websites and it's worked every time. Fingers crossed.

You could also try Edit > Paste Special and see what choices you have there. Perhaps one will work better than the others.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt. I did try that and discovered that selecting Unicode Text in Paste Special does work and basically does the same type of 'normal' non-bold formatting as the method I posted above, but without having to manually change the Style, etc. I've just been too busy to share. But now we know, and thanks for your input...and everyone's input!