You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't think the forum software is capable of doing this, but I agree mandatory tags would be a help in searching and filtering but so would a clear and concise title and explanation of the issue when the OP creates a new topic.

The forum software is capable of sub forums hint! hint!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Aside from the forum software probably not being able to support mandatory tags, please keep in mind that this is a support site for a range of commercial software products. That includes pre-purchase support questions about which product would be best for some use, general licensing questions, feature requests & feedback that may apply to any number of products (including ones Serif has no current interest in developing), a resources section for sharing things that often are usable in multiple apps, a subsection for customer account & purchase related issues, & so on.

So in many cases there is no one app or version tag that would be appropriate. In addition to that, from my experiences in other support forums (most notably Apple's) creating too many sub-forums is not a very good idea because people not very familiar with the site or the products either feel intimidated & just give up, not posting anything; or just pick a forum at random (usually one near the top of the list) & post to that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 10 months later...

My suggestion above has nothing to do with tags.  I also requested that Serif respond.  I suggested a software change to the forum on new post.  This would be mandatory that user select All or identify applicable program, which would be posted first in the post, then Title.  Simple, effective, only adding one change to forum software, a Box above the Title.  This change, if enabled, would identify, upfront, which program the question or request refers too.  As always, some users refuse to consider any change, standing ground on their previous post.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

8 minutes ago, Cecil said:

My suggestion above 

Obviously incorrect thread.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

13 minutes ago, Cecil said:

This would be mandatory that user select All or identify applicable program, which would be posted first in the post, then Title.

One problem with this is there is a very real possibility that a user will not know which app or apps their query would be most applicable to, so rather than risk getting it wrong they won't post anything to these forums & instead search elsewhere for help.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

One problem with this is there is a very real possibility that a user will not know which app or apps their query would be most applicable to, so rather than risk getting it wrong they won't post anything to these forums & instead search elsewhere for help.

R C-R, I was seriously looking for Serif comment.  As this has bounced back and forth for the past year.  To respond to your reply, ALL should allow newer user the simple answer, when in doubt.  A fly out listing each program and All is not hard to figure out.  As mandatory, user would have to pick one to proceed. I think this is a simple and effective fix.  Tags and signatures are obviously not the answer.  I recall staff commenting in January that after the release of AFu the forum would be fixed.

My posts are not an attempt to upset any Affinity user.  I’m seriously offering Serif a suggestion to change their forum post requirements.  Forum members have entrench their personal post, as I, negative or positive. The forum goes unchanged, the same redundant questions and the problem remains for many users.  Why would anyone reject the free choice of users the ability to filter/read comments concerning one program, upset so many.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Seriously?  I think new users know which program they purchased. Tags or signatures...NO.

Cecil 

It's the responsibility of the original poster to give clear information about their issue/question. It's not hard to do and mandatory tags would be there to help focus the replies not hinder the process, if you took umbrage at mandatory tags and didn't post, maybe your question wasn't as important and you thought.

There is no better place on the internet to get help with Affinity apps than here, so show some courtesy for the people who reply and spend their time helping you by making clear concise posts.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

30 minutes ago, haakoo said:

And like I said here above;

Or they just enter the "All" tag and you are where you are right now with the threads non separate in these fora

The "all" tag would not be a viable option, you would be using a primary app and Operating System. It's serves everyone to have a signature with Operating System and the apps you have but even if you had a sig the post would still need focus and that is where a mandatory tag system benefits everyone, how long would it take to select two tags from a drop down list 5 secs, it's not hard folks.

Better yet, trial it. for a month, if people start throwing the rattle out of the cot for the sake a clearer post and 5 secs then stop it, but they won't even have to type the tags, that would be done for them. 

They already do ready-made tags.

1349973928_ScreenShot2019-12-02at13_27_39.png.f39b06893b1b52adc4b84d0a5d7b50d7.png

1118557857_ScreenShot2019-12-02at13_29_27.png.d173a43d89910fa7a9b4c36eac564004.png

44 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It's the responsibility of the original poster to give clear information about their issue/question.

I think this is the basic question - what is the point of this "Question" forum?

Is it searching for and providing answers to questions that the author/newbie usually cannot even correctly formulate? - does not know the terminology, does not know how to correctly describe its problem to be understandable to anyone and therefore the answer is relevant enough, does not know whether to ask about APhoto or ADesigner when it wants to know something about symbols or text on the path, etc.

Or is it intended for "readers" who are looking for ideas for improvement and learning, and would therefore be useful for them to be divided and structured according to their specific interest and application?

37 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I think this is the basic question - what is the point of this "Question" forum?

Is it searching for and providing answers to questions that the author/newbie usually cannot even correctly formulate? - does not know the terminology, does not know how to correctly describe its problem to be understandable to anyone and therefore the answer is relevant enough, does not know whether to ask about APhoto or ADesigner when it wants to know something about symbols or text on the path, etc.

Or is it intended for "readers" who are looking for ideas for improvement and learning, and would therefore be useful for them to be divided and structured according to their specific interest and application?

Actually I think the forum is inclusive, the one who post and readers.  The old Greek proverb: “Well begun is half done..”   I do think the new user has knowledge of the program (s) purchased.  The problem is understanding the forum interface, formulating their question, primarily so readers willing to assist, can provide meaningful answers to their question.  
If readers are sincere in their response, eliminating personal feelings, resists repeating users faults and responsibilities to post correctly, the user and readers progress in functionality. It’s hard to understand the lack of knowledge of the user.  It may just be their first purchase of any application, Affinity, Adobe or any other software.  They begin their journey in unfamiliar world of Affinity forum.  I strongly believe the forum, with minor adjustments, can assist in guidance, by formulating the forum to guide the new user in a simple, click, select method.  Tags and signatures are not the answer, IMHO.  Starting with the minimum mandatory selection of Program, Title and question.  The failsafe option of all, if it’s true they don’t know which program applies, allows readers information on users ability to formulate their question.  This then is the opportunity for the readers to shine in their response.

Cecil 

10 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

It is to help owners & potential purchasers of the Affinity products with whatever questions they have about these products. We cannot assume that they know anything about these products other than that they exist & are somehow related to graphics creation. They make have little or no prior experience with this kind of software, or for that matter that they have more then rudimentary computer skills.

We also have to consider that their working knowledge of English or even of any of the other languages these products support may be minimal at best, so they cannot post what any of us might consider a 'correctly formulated' question, whatever that is supposed to mean.

We certainly cannot assume that they know this is the best place on the internet for their questions or that if they do not meet certain standards in their posts that their questions are unimportant.

It does not matter how many posts any of us have made or how many "reputation points" we have accumulated or how helpful any of our posts have been. We are not entitled to decide anything about anyone's questions other than if we are willing reply to them or not.

In short, we do not make or sell the products; Serif does. It is not our forum; it is Serif's. It is their right to organize it as they see fit, not ours.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is to help owners & potential purchasers of the Affinity products with whatever questions they have about these products. We cannot assume that they know anything about these products other than that they exist & are somehow related to graphics creation. They make have little or no prior experience with this kind of software, or for that matter that they have more then rudimentary computer skills.

We also have to consider that their working knowledge of English or even of any of the other languages these products support may be minimal at best, so they cannot post what any of us might consider a 'correctly formulated' question, whatever that is supposed to mean.

We certainly cannot assume that they know this is the best place on the internet for their questions or that if they do not meet certain standards in their posts that their questions are unimportant.

It does not matter how many posts any of us have made or how many "reputation points" we have accumulated or how helpful any of our posts have been. We are not entitled to decide anything about anyone's questions other than if we are willing reply to them or not.

In short, we do not make or sell the products; Serif does. It is not our forum; it is Serif's. It is their right to organize it as they see fit, not ours.

Well stated.  I agree Serif owns the products and forum, as well as the responsibility, if possible, to formulate the process to simplify, for the benefit of those in need, especially as you so elegantly rightly pointed out, the assumption of users knowledge. 

Cecil