You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Testing Master page Unlink and Editing

Hi SteveP110

You're going to need to provide some actual description of what it is you are doing here. From the looks of the screenshot you are using displaying the measurements from other objects. Without know what you are doing or trying to do it's difficult to say what is right or wrong here

thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Think it was the way i was editting a Master text frame contents on a page. I had unlocked the master then double clicked on the text and ended up with two cursor, cannot replicate after doing a save as. So what is the correct way of releasing a single text box from the master and editing it, yet keeping all the other master contents on the page locked ie page headings, logos, page numbers and footers etc. yet editting the Content title frame and the contents text.

Example of what I amd trying to do (this is an experimental layout)

Only the text frames with red text need to be editted, copied and pasted from word etc. All i wish to do is release those two text frames from the master and yet keep all the rest master linked so they can be changed via the master(s)79104973_Screenshot2019-01-22at17_23_28.thumb.png.187b134bf33397e6a5a2d3dbf8ad630e.png

Try this. Make 2 master pages called Fixed and Varies. Put all the unchanging content on the Fixed master page and have a placeholder frame on the Varies later. Drag the Fixed page onto the Varies page.

Apply Page 1 (and others) with the Varies master. On the layers panel, the Fixed layer should be a child of the Varies layer and you should be able to lock it. The Varies layer should be editable.

I don't think you can have an unlinked master page whose items have different editing properties but I might be wrong.

image.png.8d77ff9c0723504798d07e81a4da58f2.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

If you are using 1.7.0.221 there are no hoops to jump through. Set up your master page with all the text frames the way you have them and then you can just go from page to page clicking in the Text Frames you wish to edit/paste text in and do so. The Master Pages won't update or change.

eidt.png.9fae4d509eca847817d4af3cbaff41b6.png

Right click on the Master Page, not the items on the master page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Old Bruce is right - you don't need a linked Master Page for this. On the Master Page you can just lock the text frame you don't want to be editable. This locked property seems to transfer to the main pages.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

I am now totally confused. I created a blank page then deleted all of the other pages with a master applied. I then Applied a Master. When I checked the  Master Layer for that page it was deafult  "unlocked and the Edit frame contents was ticked". I found that I could edit any text in any frame on the page not just the single frame I wanted editable. (Reset) I changed the Master Page green banner background to pink and all pages changed to pink.(Reset) I changed heading text on the Master page and it changed on all Pages. (Reset)I changed the heading text on the page and the Master did not change nor did the other pages heading text, changing the heading text in this case changed allm pages heading text except the one where I had changed the text on the page.

(Reset) - here I reset to starting with a blank page and then applying a master so previous changes did not effect my test.

I was expecting to be able to detach a text or picture frame, frame by frame not all frames at once and not find the default was unlocked. 

I have attached the document I amd playing with. It was created from scratch in .221

Master test two.afpub

Thanks for the video answered all my questions. I have also experimented and if I dont want to allow a frame or contents to be Editable on the page all I have to do is lock that object on the master. Slightly different way of working than I am used to but get the feeling this will be a lot better and easier.

Only coment I have is that the Master bar (see image) was not reliable at appearing, I had to re-open publisher to get it to appear again. Always appeared first time but not always after 2 or 3 click on the Master Page layer.

1329758998_Screenshot2019-01-23at13_25_56.thumb.png.868c6a100f5a9bed59977771a67d543c.png

2 hours ago, SteveP110 said:

Only coment I have is that the Master bar (see image) was not reliable at appearing, I had to re-open publisher to get it to appear again. Always appeared first time but not always after 2 or 3 click on the Master Page layer.

Never noticed this before. Same/similar behaviour here only shows up once right at starting the application.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Never noticed this before. Same/similar behaviour here only shows up once right at starting the application.

This only works if you have the move tool enabled.

If you click on a Master Layer on a page view with another tool and don't switch to the move tool then that does' work – but it should work from any tool in my opinion.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Just out of personal curiosity, where did you find the tutorial movie about the  "new" Master Page? 
It is not present on the dedicated web page (... tutorials/publisher/desktop/)

Thanks & Ciao

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.