You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to remove the background from a model. I use the quick selection tool on her and then go into the refine selection but it's doing this weird auto-feathering thing. As you can see in the photo around all the edges it's doing this sort of feathering type thing despite me never touching the sliders. Look closely at her nose, forehead, lips, chin and neck, you'll see what I mean. Anyone know what's going on? Please help! Thanks!

feathering.jpg

Edited by mattco86
Added more detail

How does that background look like ?
Was snap to edges checked ?
Did you give it a try using the beta version ?
Although, this could be one of those known behaviors/bugs...

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Uncheck Matte Edges on the Refine Panel.

• Matte Edges—when selected (default), the selection area closely follows image edges. If this option is off, selection doesn't follow image edges which is useful for more accurately refining straight selection edges.

But, it works on most edges straight or otherwise, I generally uncheck this when refining selections, unfortunately it cannot be turned off and stay off as far as I am aware.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_refine.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

45 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Uncheck Matte Edges on the Refine Panel.

For me that doesn't work ! With Matte Edges unchecked I get jagged edges !!!

Matte Edges.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

10 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

For me that doesn't work ! With Matte Edges unchecked I get jagged edges !!!

I was going to post much the same thing. Like the help topic says, refining with matte edges off is useful for straight edges but the opposite of what is wanted for refining curved ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You will get jagged edges but at least you know where you are starting from and the addition of smoothing and feathering becomes apparent visually as you apply it, applying to a blurred edge doesn't really give you clear feedback from a starting point vantage.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm checking out this thread as such a newbie that I cannot figure out how to remove the fr***ing background without the same jagged effect. While this does give me ideas to go about correcting my issues, it seems that this most recent response from firstdefence takes the initial poster right back to where the  question began - to get rid of the feathering effect. 

How about background removal without any effects? I am presently (probably because I'm an idiot!) having issues with using the node tool. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - as in, it will not allow me to make any adjustments to the selected image. It remains outlined in blue, but no matter of clicking will add another node. That being the case, I've used another insufficient program to remove the background, which now requires a feathering effect (such as the first poster does not want) to correct it, which would actually work very well for this particular project). 

Why can't an "expert " user simply post the parameters for making a clean removal of background? I know that images differ, but seriously - a baseline would be of great assistance to those of us who don't have time to experiment around.... (Agreed this offers a solution to feathering my image, but I'd rather it be clean to begin with, thus allowing me to decide what to do with it thereafter....)

6 hours ago, Tori said:

Why can't an "expert " user simply post the parameters for making a clean removal of background?

Because there is no magic formula to removing backgrounds, even in dedicated masking/background removal apps you still have to make fine adjustments. If I want to refine a selection, within the refine panel I will use the black and white preview to get a sense of the selection and alternate between overlay and transparent to see the effect of the refinement.

Take a screenshot to show how you have the selection with nodes showing.

To add nodes to a selection path you use the node tool (P) Note: (P) is a duel tool selection key so pressing (P) repeatedly will alternate between the pen tool and the node tool, the node tool is a white arrowhead.