You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do I Cutout Shapes From One Another

MY QUESTION

In Photoshop, I was able to cut out one shape from another using the Layer Mask and Hide Mask feature. This would have made the portion that was cut out transparent. I'm not sure how to do this in Affinity Photo (Mac or iOS) or Designer (iOS). 

In the attached photo, I'm trying to remove the highlighted dashed circle from the black circle behind it, but I have been unsuccessful in figuring it out. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 2.48.44 PM.png

Should work for Designer equally, at least the desktop versions. Try that Designer file of the shapes PixelPest made ...

I think we forgotten to tell how to easily remove instead the inner circle of your initial bitmap/raster drawing in APhoto here. There are several possibilities, like using the eraser tool, but the easiest would probably be to make a circle/elliptic selection around the inner circle part and then just press the delete button. Afterwards hide the selection (Cmd-D on Macs, Ctrl-D on Win).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 hours ago, PixelPest said:

You can simply open my file in Gravit Designer:

No, that's a different one from Affinity Designer. :)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2