You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

beta .122 -- Find & Replace not working

- Create new document

- Insert text with certain markers (I used a text where every so often a paragraph would start with "40"

- Create new Paragraph style (I used one with a background decoration to make it easy to spot in the document)

- Open Find & Replace window, search for "40" (as text) and replace with "paragraph style" (instead of entering another text in the replace field

- click on 'find' -- all instances are listed

--- -- -- -- 

When I click on one of the found instances, it's not highlighted in the document and the cursor doesn't jump to it

When I click 'replace' or 'replace all' nothing happens

Good Morning,

I just wanted to record the issue and noticed that the bug seems to have been fixed in the new beta (227) -- attached the video of what I'm doing. What you don't see, is my REALLY surprised face when I scroll down to the third page and realise, that the Find and Replace has actually worked this time (first time out of 20/30 tries).

4 hours ago, Pauls said:

yes  - we fixed that issue in 227

Fixed part of it, the big part yes but there is no page scrolling to the selected instance of found text. And I still can't find the text, change the paragraph style and replace the found text with nothing (delete place holder glyphs).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Fixed part of it, the big part yes but there is no page scrolling to the selected instance of found text. And I still can't find the text, change the paragraph style and replace the found text with nothing (delete place holder glyphs).

Yes, you need to do two steps for that ... wouldn't want to have it any other way though, because sometimes I don't want to delete the searched text but simply use it to identify a paragraph.

Besides: My video shows me creating a new document, setting up a master page, importing 200(!) pages of text, creating a paragraph style, assigning the style to about 500 paragraphs AND checking the result in just 1:40 minutes — just sayin'.

11 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

just sayin'.

And you should say so too. I do similar stuff and this "Replace only the Paragraph Style" is superlative. Here comes the but... But there are times when I want the destructive to happen too. I use doubled non alpha-numerics to indicate where I want different styles. ^^ for Chapter heads, !! for a First Paragraph, $$ for a third style and on and on. Having said that I will also say that if Affinity doesn't fix/implement the destructive aspect I will still be very happy.

However I really really need the scrolling to where the word/string symbols are, at times they merely mark the start of some text that needs a character style applied and with no grep functionality at present I need to get to the place in the text to manually select the arbitrary strings. There is no way I am going to search through your 200 pages of text and catch all instances.

Post Script: I doubt I could check 50 let alone 500 paragraphs for formatting in 1:40, minutes your eyes must be younger than mine.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi, Old Bruce,

agree on the scrolling — it would be great to click on one of the results and have this result / find highlighted in the document.

In regard of the other issue: What about entering some kind off 'command' in the replace field if you want to delete the result? Maybe something code-like like {del-result} or so, something that needs to be clicked or selected on purpose, so that people who do NOT want the found text deleted don't do so by accident? Viable compromise for you?

I would go and delete the tags in my sample document, but usually keep all of them in, until I'm done formatting so that I have the chance to re-search in case I need to change something (e.g. accidentally applying the same style to several tags).

Post Scriptum Reply: My eyes are 39 years old and thickly glassed — I didn't check all 500 results but quickly scanned the pages to see if the find-replace worked, by sampling some of the results I knew the position of. ;)

6 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

In regard of the other issue: What about entering some kind off 'command' in the replace field if you want to delete the result? Maybe something code-like like {del-result} or so, something that needs to be clicked or selected on purpose, so that people who do NOT want the found text deleted don't do so by accident? Viable compromise for you?

I think I would prefer the current two pass method, people could still mess up by mistake and that would be far worse than my slight inconvenience of doing the find and replace twice. Once to replace the style and once to remove my 'Markers'.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.