You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to turn off the "Tool Toggle" to last brush.

Great program for price. No major complaints.....except the annoying tool toggle. For example, when I hit the "B" keyboard shortcut for brush.....I want the Paint Brush tool....not the last tool used or any other tool....PERIOD. I come from the production AEC architecture community for 20 years etc. CAD etc where speed is key. I absolutely, do not want to have to "verify" that I have the right tool every time I hit a shortcut key. Sometimes you stop the flow to do something else..forgetting which tool you used last, hit the "B" key, start working and you end up with the "whatever" tool and have to undo something because it was the wrong tool. BTW there is no obvious way to verify the tool you have selected except to read the bottom notification bar or search the tool pallet. This interrupts the "Flow" tremendously. All I want is the option to turn this "Toggle to another tool" off or on in preferences, because  I am sure that many like this option or are used to it.

Thanks No offense.

You can change or remove keyboard shortcuts in Preferences. (Maybe just have B for the Brush Tool and Shift + B for the others that currently use B.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

45 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

You can change or remove keyboard shortcuts in Preferences. (Maybe just have B for the Brush Tool and Shift + B for the others that currently use B.)

Yes. However, that doesn't resolve all the issues. Suppose you've changed the shortcuts to make them unique. You press B to get the Brush tool, do some work, become distracted and forget you were using the Brush tool and press B again. That will switch you to whatever tool you had before you first pressed B.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah... Thanks for the reply Walt.farrell. Having to verify the correct tool is PITA. Oh well, still a good program. In a 4 hour period I have the wrong tool 4-5 times. Breaks the flow and raises my BP. Ha! The " last tool" toggle is basically unnecessary. Dammit, when I hit the B key shortcut, I want the paint brush tool. I don't want to "look away" from canvas to verify. I think you get what I am saying. I am sure some newbies might like it. All I ask is a way to turn that option off in preferences. Maybe if more people chime in like you did, we might get some action. Good Luck

1 minute ago, mccluredave1 said:

All I ask is a way to turn that option off in preferences.

Okay, I will ask for it as well.

(hopefully someone will tell us it already exists)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That's really kind of funny... 
This thread brought to my attention that Serif already uses a system to toggle between two tools – generally a super helpful feature – I even opened a feature request for this.
Serif just happened to implement that tool-toggle a way that it either gets terribly in the way or doesn't get discovered at all. I dare calling the current implementation plain wrong – it doesn't do anything good and can not even get turned off – it really should get fixed asap.

What I am used to from  quite a variety of programs (including Photoshop) is that one may temporarily call another tool by pressing and holding down a letter key. That way one may lay down a couple of brush-strokes while actually drawing a path: Press (and release) P to call the path tool and click to lay down anchor points. In order to access to the brush tool one would press (and hold!) the letter B. As soon as you let go the B-key one reverts to the Pen tool exactly in the position where one had left off – one may continue laying down points in that path.

The greatest advantage of this implementation is that it can not get called by accident. There's simply no other reason to press and keep holding a (Non Modifier-Key) right now = it can not get in the way. The second great advantage is that this sort of toogle is broadly known and expected behaviour. Hooking this up should not conflict with anything, as you don't use this event yet (normal keys held down).

1 hour ago, hifred said:

This thread brought to my attention that Serif already uses a system to toggle between two tools – generally a super helpful feature – I even opened a feature request for this.

Serif just happened to implement that tool-toggle a way that it either gets terribly in the way or doesn't get discovered at all. I dare calling the current implementation plain wrong – it doesn't do anything good and can not even get turned off – it really should get fixed asap.

What I am used to from quite a variety of programs (including Photoshop) is that one may temporarily call another tool by pressing and holding down a letter key…

I'd prefer this too.  

I currently do what PaulEC mentioned and have 'B' set only for the 'Paint Brush Tool' and 'E' set only for the 'Erase Brush Tool'.  That means it's possible to switch between the 'Paint Brush Tool' and the 'Erase Brush Tool' using a single key.  However, I too prefer how other software handles it where you can press 'B' to select the 'Paint Brush Tool', then pressing and holding the 'E' key will temporarily switch to the 'Erase Brush Tool'.  Letting go of the key then switches back.

What Photoshop does and easy paint Sai, is you hold down the newest tool. So let's say you first start with paintbrush(B) . Then you want to erase, you would HOLD down (E) and erase whatever.. Once you let go of (E) Photoshop and Sai automatically reverts back to paint brush. It's really intuitive. 

On 1/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, - S - said:

However, I too prefer how other software handles it where you can press 'B' to select the 'Paint Brush Tool', then pressing and holding the 'E' key will temporarily switch to the 'Erase Brush Tool'.

Yep, that's how most of us tend to work.

Also, I'm a sort of hoarder of stupid habits... I often click twice (or more) a key shortcut to use another tool. There the toggle breaks the workflow. And yep, even worse when you don't realize and screw something else, needing a going back in history or realize/see if you can fix what you screwed...

Even in the best scenario, this, or when the alt color picking does not really grab the color as was done too fast, are things that force loosing the focus on the work, the canvas. That's quite bad...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, k_au said:

...added my "like" on the top post to mean +1 , me too, also...

That function was implemented in 1.7.

See Preferences, Tools:

image.png.a4d584340d4dee1d6c53f8117376390c.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2019 at 9:23 AM, walt.farrell said:

That function was implemented in 1.7.

See Preferences, Tools:

image.png.a4d584340d4dee1d6c53f8117376390c.png

Thank you so much. I was going crazzzzy trying to paint and the stroke seemed to be missing or not working. Everytime it was because the short cut B had enabled Colour replacement or Smudge and not the brush.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: