You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.221

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: 64 Bit Win 7 SP1 / Win 8 / Win 10 

Hi,

We are pleased to announce Affinity Publisher build 221 is now available as a manual download from the link above. We hope to put it on auto-update early next week.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Updates and Fixes

Master Pages

Due to the changes in Master Page functionality in this build we strongly suggest you backup any documents that are valuable to you before testing.

It is now possible to edit the content of Master Page Text Frames and Picture Frames directly from a spread the master is applied to. By default, on editing, the content attribute for the item in question is automatically unlinked, but the other attributes and geometry remain locked. It is also possible to entirely lock the Master Page instance if desired, to prevent unintended content edits. Finally options are available to edit all attributes of Master Page items linked - the Master Page and any other pages it is applied to will be updated - or to edit all attributes unlinked - only the copy on the current spread will be updated. In both of these cases an information bar is displayed while the editing ‘mode’ is active.

Text flow between frames on masters is honoured when the master is applied and it is possible to create text flow between frames that have come from masters. When auto-flowing text from a frame that comes from a master the text auto-flow will use the matching frame on subsequent pages that have the same master applied or insert new pages with the same master.

Note that the previous default behaviour was to edit all attributes for all master items linked, but also to lock the Master Page instance in the layers panel. If dealing with an old document and the new functionality is desired the instance will need to be unlocked or the Master reapplied.

Link to master page tutorial / video here

Amalgamated Text > Insert Text from File and File > Place

Text > Insert Text from File has been removed and File > Place should be used instead. The types of files available via File > Place depends on context, for example if a Text Frame is selected then text files will be made available.

Performance
(Win) Fix for system mis-reporting RAM on some systems leading to poor performance.
- If 'RAM Usage Limit' in Preferences > Performance is set to 1024MB you may be experiencing this issue. If so please set the limit manually to a higher value (typically the amount of Physical RAM installed) or Ctrl-Run Up to reset settings.

Menus and Studio
(Mac) Fixed the spurious black tiles issue when switching between multiple documents
(Win) Fix for redraw issues when dragging document windows between monitors on some monitor setups
(Win) Fixed Show Bleed failing to work under some circumstances
Fixed min / max size issue for some panels
Added Tooltips to Page Navigation controls
(Mac) Fixed Colour Panel tabbing issues
(Mac) Fix for Pasting control characters into Find and Replace fields.
(Win) Fix for Find and Replace fields not being cleared when starting a new document
(Mac) Paragraph / Character Panels now always show scrollbars if necessary
(Win) Fix for Min / Max / Defaults in Paragraph Panel Justification settings
(Win) Fix for crash trying to insert a Text Field without a text frame selected
(Mac) Fixed Text Wrapping Dialog tab order
Section Page Count is actually Section 'Last Page'
Added 'Run Last Page' to Fields Panel
Added Next and Previous Frame page numbers to Fields Panel
(Win) Tools toolbar leaves monitor viewport when undocking on some monitor set ups
(Win) Document Zoom Level is changed to 'Fit' when a Symbol / Asset etc is dragged out
(Win) Fixed drag drop from Explorer to floating Document windows
Fix for Paste Inside being disabled with multiple objects selected
Section Manager selection fixes

Tools and View
Fix for Text Frame Baseline Grids drawing incorrectly
(Win) Fixed issue setting CMYK colours for Guides
(Mac) Fix for incorrect Ruler Origin on spreads other than first

Text and Tables
Tables and Text frames can now individually be set to ignore baseline grid
Added support for language dependent smart quotes
Allow for space above at tops of columns in more places. Fixes issues with Art Text
No longer apply initial words formatting automatically to text generated by lists
Fix for effect of next paragraph style on character formatting not being undone correctly
Fix crash justifying narrow text
Page Number glyphs are now shown as placeholders on master pages
When creating a TOC reuse an unused style if there is one
Fixed Hyphenation to exclude nulls from hyphenation strings because they confuse length rules
(Mac) Fixed failure to ever set Restart Numbering 'Now' in Text Style Editor
(Win) Fixed issue with Arial Black being incorrectly reported as missing
Fix for Edit Text Style controls not updating when Font Family changed
Fixed issue changing Table insets after scaling
Fixed issue scrolling through the Font List if fonts with long names present
Resizing text frame no longer causes issues with cursor position on the text ruler
Fix for punctuation stopping 'Capitalise first word of sentence' from working

Import / Export and Printing
Fix for some EPS imports being incorrectly translated
Document fields such as 'Author' and 'Subject' are now exported to PDF
(Win) Fix for some stroke widths being printed incorrectly on rotated objects
(Win) Fix for flipped text printing

---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 206

It is now possible to edit the content of Master Page Text Frames and Picture Frames directly from a spread the master is applied to. By default, on editing,

It is not true. They are locked and can't be unlocked via Layer menu and there is no option on layer panel to unlock them, too.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

Hi Petar,

You can edit the content of Text and Picture Frames directly without taking any action. In addition the right click menu for the Layer in the Layers Panel can be used to switch between 'Edit Detached', 'Edit Linked', 'Edit Frame Content' and 'Lock'. Either 'Edit Detached', 'Edit Linked' will allow you to edit other attributes of the frame.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is now possible to edit the content of Master Page Text Frames and Picture Frames directly from a spread the master is applied to. By default, on editing,

It is not true. They are locked and can't be unlocked via Layer menu and there is no option on layer panel to unlock them, too.

from the OP

Note that the previous default behaviour was to edit all attributes for all master items linked, but also to lock the Master Page instance in the layers panel. If dealing with an old document and the new functionality is desired the instance will need to be unlocked or the Master reapplied.

Please reapply the master or unlock the master objects. In existing (pre #221) documents they are locked by default. Does that help?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Hi Petar,

You can edit the content of Text and Picture Frames directly without taking any action. In addition the right click menu for the Layer in the Layers Panel can be used to switch between 'Edit Detached', 'Edit Linked', 'Edit Frame Content' and 'Lock'. Either 'Edit Detached', 'Edit Linked' will allow you to edit other attributes of the frame.

Uhhhh. Can't it be done as simple as in Quark? Every item in Master page(s) in Quark is automaticaly free to move, resize, delete... without additional action.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff
1 minute ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Uhhhh. Can't it be done as simple as in Quark? Every item in Master page(s) in Quark is automaticaly free to move, resize, delete... without additional action.

Feel free to make suggestion forum posts.

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

As a mateter of fact, I really enjoy using all three apps. That is why I am involved into any discusion about future development of them. :)

I can't wait to buy the retail version of Publisher and start using it.

• Staff
35 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

In our model, and I believe Quark is similar, changing an object attribute causes it to become unlinked from the master version. Once unlinked, changes made to the attribute on the master will not be reflected. That's why we think you should have to explicitly choose to do this.

As Patrick says though, further discussion on this topic should be moved to a separate thread.

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

By default, on editing, the content attribute for the item in question is automatically unlinked, but the other attributes and geometry remain locked. It is also possible to entirely lock the Master Page instance if desired, to prevent unintended content edits. Finally options are available to edit all attributes of Master Page items linked - the Master Page and any other pages it is applied to will be updated - or to edit all attributes unlinked - only the copy on the current spread will be updated. In both of these cases an information bar is displayed while the editing ‘mode’ is active.

Thanks for the new beta. Could we have a bit more detail on the quoted section, please? For example, where are the options available? Also, how can we tell what attributes are unlinked and which are still locked?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for the new beta. Could we have a bit more detail on the quoted section, please? For example, where are the options available? Also, how can we tell what attributes are unlinked and which are still locked?

The Help section on Master Pages explains it quite well

(You just need to read that entire section for it to make sense)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

The Help section on Master Pages explains it quite well

(You just need to read that entire section for it to make sense)

Thanks; I guess I just assumed the Help for this wasn't ready yet, and didn't bother looking.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

57 minutes ago, AdamW said:

In our model, and I believe Quark is similar, changing an object attribute causes it to become unlinked from the master version. Once unlinked, changes made to the attribute on the master will not be reflected. That's why we think you should have to explicitly choose to do this.

As Patrick says though, further discussion on this topic should be moved to a separate thread.

Yes, I did it. Thanks.

Thank you for the new update!

It installed succesfully over the previous version and my documents (all using master pages quite heavily) are still intact.

Keep up the good work! :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Panchdara said:

Guidelines still not functioning correctly. This bug seems restricted to multiple page docs.

If this refers to the issue in your existing thread then we seem to need more assistance (in that thread) recreating it. If it's a new problem please create a new thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

20 minutes ago, Panchdara said:

Guidelines still not functioning correctly. This bug seems restricted to multiple page docs.

Yes, I also found that none of the bugs reported by me is fixed, too. Just give it time.

As long as it's not mentioned in the changelog there is no reason to assume that they tackled a specific problem.

I did a quick test for all my reported bugs yesterday and just added the "1.7.0.221" label to indicate that the new version is still affected. You could do the same with your reports.

They solve with each version a lot, but by releasing 2 versions a month we should not expect everything to be fixed in one version.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

23 minutes ago, Thomas-B said:

Since 1.7.0.221 I have problems with charset. My keyboard layout is Swiss French. Please see in the attached file.

AP-problem-charset.pdf

Serif have asked (see first post in this topic) that you report problems using the application by creating a new topic, not posting here. I think you should do that.

Also, it's more convenient for everyone if you attach an image file (JPG, PNG) rather than a PDF, as it will display directly in your post rather than requiring downloading and opening outside the forum.

-- Walt
PC:

Don't know about the problems, but I for one am glad to see editable content in text and picture frames from master pages. Tried it and it works well for me. I did create a new master page and applied it to a page with no master applied yet. Thanks for the new feature!

Now, if you could just add image frames or in-place images that can be anchored to text to allow reflow--you've got a real winner and a contender against the "big guys"! :)

3 hours ago, ToOldForThis said:

Now, if you could just add image frames or in-place images that can be anchored to text to allow reflow--you've got a real winner and a contender against the "big guys"! :)

Objection!

Publisher is already a winner and strong contender even without those features. :)

It has already been proven to me on a production project (with ordered prints) to be suitable for photo book creation and alone for that purpose I see a big market.

In my view they just need to sort out the bugs and improve the stability to get the first version ready to ship.

• Staff

Hi,

A couple of things - 

• I've added a link to a master page tutorial / video to the announcement post at the top of this thread.
  • Due to a couple of issues reported in build 221 we may skip putting it on auto-update and instead push out another update with fixes in the next couple of days.

Thank you for all your help and feedback.