You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.221

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher build 221 is now available as a manual download from the link above. All being well we will put it on auto-update early next week.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Updates and Fixes

Master Pages

Due to the changes in Master Page functionality in this build we strongly suggest you backup any documents that are valuable to you before testing.

It is now possible to edit the content of Master Page Text Frames and Picture Frames directly from a spread the master is applied to. By default, on editing, the content attribute for the item in question is automatically unlinked, but the other attributes and geometry remain locked. It is also possible to entirely lock the Master Page instance if desired, to prevent unintended content edits. Finally options are available to edit all attributes of Master Page items linked - the Master Page and any other pages it is applied to will be updated - or to edit all attributes unlinked - only the copy on the current spread will be updated. In both of these cases an information bar is displayed while the editing ‘mode’ is active.

Text flow between frames on masters is honoured when the master is applied and it is possible to create text flow between frames that have come from masters. When auto-flowing text from a frame that comes from a master the text auto-flow will use the matching frame on subsequent pages that have the same master applied or insert new pages with the same master.

Note that the previous default behaviour was to edit all attributes for all master items linked, but also to lock the Master Page instance in the layers panel. If dealing with an old document and the new functionality is desired the instance will need to be unlocked or the Master reapplied.

Link to master page tutorial / video here

Amalgamated Text > Insert Text from File and File > Place
- Text > Insert Text from File has been removed and File > Place should be used instead. The types of files available via File > Place depends on context, for example if a Text Frame is selected then text files will be made available.

Performance
(Win) Fix for system mis-reporting RAM on some systems leading to poor performance.
- If 'RAM Usage Limit' in Preferences > Performance is set to 1024MB you may be experiencing this issue. If so please set the limit manually to a higher value (typically the amount of Physical RAM installed) or Ctrl-Run Up to reset settings.

Menus and Studio
(Mac) Fixed the spurious black tiles issue when switching between multiple documents
(Win) Fix for redraw issues when dragging document windows between monitors on some monitor setups
(Win) Fixed Show Bleed failing to work under some circumstances
Fixed min / max size issue for some panels
Added Tooltips to Page Navigation controls
(Mac) Fixed Colour Panel tabbing issues
(Mac) Fix for Pasting control characters into Find and Replace fields.
(Win) Fix for Find and Replace fields not being cleared when starting a new document
(Mac) Paragraph / Character Panels now always show scrollbars if necessary
(Win) Fix for Min / Max / Defaults in Paragraph Panel Justification settings
(Win) Fix for crash trying to insert a Text Field without a text frame selected
(Mac) Fixed Text Wrapping Dialog tab order
Section Page Count is actually Section 'Last Page'
Added 'Run Last Page' to Fields Panel
Added Next and Previous Frame page numbers to Fields Panel
(Win) Tools toolbar leaves monitor viewport when undocking on some monitor set ups
(Win) Document Zoom Level is changed to 'Fit' when a Symbol / Asset etc is dragged out
(Win) Fixed drag drop from Explorer to floating Document windows
Fix for Paste Inside being disabled with multiple objects selected
Section Manager selection fixes

Tools and View
Fix for Text Frame Baseline Grids drawing incorrectly
(Win) Fixed issue setting CMYK colours for Guides
(Mac) Fix for incorrect Ruler Origin on spreads other than first

Text and Tables
Tables and Text frames can now individually be set to ignore baseline grid
Added support for language dependent smart quotes
Allow for space above at tops of columns in more places. Fixes issues with Art Text
No longer apply initial words formatting automatically to text generated by lists
Fix for effect of next paragraph style on character formatting not being undone correctly
Fix crash justifying narrow text
Page Number glyphs are now shown as placeholders on master pages
When creating a TOC reuse an unused style if there is one
Fixed Hyphenation to exclude nulls from hyphenation strings because they confuse length rules
(Mac) Fixed failure to ever set Restart Numbering 'Now' in Text Style Editor
(Win) Fixed issue with Arial Black being incorrectly reported as missing
Fix for Edit Text Style controls not updating when Font Family changed
Fixed issue changing Table insets after scaling
Fixed issue scrolling through the Font List if fonts with long names present
Resizing text frame no longer causes issues with cursor position on the text ruler
Fix for punctuation stopping 'Capitalise first word of sentence' from working

Import / Export and Printing
Fix for some EPS imports being incorrectly translated
Document fields such as 'Author' and 'Subject' are now exported to PDF
(Win) Fix for some stroke widths being printed incorrectly on rotated objects
(Win) Fix for flipped text printing
---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 206

Great news about the Master Page's Text Frames. Now I just have to unlearn all the oddball workarounds I have developed. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Great news about the Master Page's Text Frames. Now I just have to unlearn all the oddball workarounds I have developed. 

sorry 'bout that

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, J.L. Forrest said:

Crashes when I select a line of text, hold down the shift key, and press an up or down arrow to select more lines of text.

MacBook running OS 10.14.2

Please start a new Bug topic, this won't be seen here as easily as a new topic would.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you so much @AdamW

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

9 hours ago, moot said:

I always get this dialog when I try this version "Affinity-Publisher-Beta-1.7.0.221.dmg".

Anyone please suggest? Thanks :)

Is the date set correctly on your computer?

There was at least one report of someone seeing this issue when they had the computer set to use a Japanese calendar...

• Staff

Hi,

A couple of things - 

• I've added a link to a master page tutorial / video to the announcement post at the top of this thread.
  • Due to a couple of issues reported in build 221 we may skip putting it on auto-update and instead push out another update with fixes in the next couple of days.

Thank you for all your help and feedback.

Nah I can wait, no hectic. I prefer the update feature and less download sizes here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, AdamW said:

• I've added a link to a master page tutorial / video to the announcement post at the top of this thread.
  • Due to a couple of issues reported in build 221 we may skip putting it on auto-update and instead push out another update with fixes in the next couple of days.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you once again!

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

On 1/23/2019 at 6:11 AM, AdamW said:

Hi,

A couple of things - 

Thank you for all your help and feedback.

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for this video.  It really explains the new Master Page feature in the latest public beta.

I have one question though.  Once you detach a Spread frame from the Master Page, edit the text frame or other items on the spread and you click finish, does it then re-attach to the Master Page?  On other words, is the detach feature a one-way progress? 

Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Nana

• Staff

Well not quite locked ;)

Hi Nana,

That's correct, it is not possible to relink detached attributes of unlinked master page items. You would have to re-apply the master page. Feel free to make a suggestion in the suggestions forum if you feel that is a significant limitation.