You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer DirectX 12 incompatible

I have installed Affinity Designer V1.6.5.135 on a new Windows 10 Pro PC running a new Radeon RX850 graphics card with DirectX12 support.
At startup Affinity Designer displays a dialog starting with the following text: 

The software requires a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card in order to run...

Windows Version 10.0.17763.

Radeon software version 19.1.1. 

I assume that there is some problem with Affinity Designer DirectX version detection.  Is there a new version of Affinity Designer available which corrects this issue?

12 minutes ago, AndyDB said:

I have installed Affinity Designer V1.6.5.135 on a new Windows 10 Pro PC running a new Radeon RX850 graphics card with DirectX12 support.
At startup Affinity Designer displays a dialog starting with the following text: 

Windows Version 10.0.17763.

Radeon software version 19.1.1. 

I assume that there is some problem with Affinity Designer DirectX version detection.  Is there a new version of Affinity Designer available which corrects this issue?

You could try the 1.7 beta version

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

@AndyDB Have you managed to test the latest 1.7 beta of Designer, just leave your existing version installed as the beta will install along side. Can you run dxdiag from the Windows Run dialogue (Windows key +R) and just screenshot the settings on the System and Display tabs.

Hi Lee, 

I downloaded and installed Affinity Designer 1.7 Beta. Pleased to say that this does NOT display the "The software requires a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card in order to run.." dialog.  

I also have Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 installed on my machine.  This also works perfectly and does not display the DirectX10 dialog.

Oddly - I just re-ran Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 and it also loaded perfectly without the DirectX10 dialog!   Something changed behind the scenes!  Perhaps a driver update or the Beta install etc.

Andy