You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use the corner tool like in the video?

Hi @all,

I wanted to rework this Designer Tutorial, but there is a problem to use the corner tool.
In this Tutorial he draws lines and in the same step he converts the straigt lines to curved lines. Later he edtits the points of the lines with the corner tool. I tried this with the current version 1.6.5.123 and with the beta 1.7.0.209 but it is not possible to edit the points with the corner tool.
With the corner tool i can edit them if there are only straight lines but if i convert them by dragging like in the video, it´s not possible to edit them with the corner tool.
Is this a bug or is there a way in the settings to adjust this or have i forgotten something?

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

• Staff

Hi Uwe367,

Please could you make sure all of the nodes are joined as this is working correctly for me. If possible could you provide a video of this behaviour on your computer ?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

The video demonstrates a rather odd ‘use case’ for the Corner Tool. The tool only works on sharp nodes, not curved or ‘smart’ ones, but if you use curved nodes in the first place I don’t see why you would need to smooth them out as shown in the video.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Callum
Thanks, and yes, i can provide a video wich shows this behaviour on my computer, but not today because I don't have enough time today. I provide it tomorrow.

@Alfred
I wanted to rework this tutorial and in this case i noticed that the function doesn´t work like in the video is shown. I don´t need to work so, but i thought that there is a bug because the behaviour of the corner tool is an other one as the video shows.

Thanks you :)

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

In the first part of the video you only have one sharp node. The others are all smooth nodes, denoted by circles instead of squares. If you use Polygon mode, or (as you did in the second part) you click instead of clicking and dragging while in Pen mode, you get sharp modes which the Corner Tool can act on.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

28 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Sorry for double posting. I made a screenvideo which shows the behaviour on my computer.
For example it´s only a drawing of some lines.

No bug. To put what @Alfred said about smart and smooth curves another way:
The bezier handles of a point on a curve have to be "broken"/bent, even if just slightly, in order for the corner tool to work.
Otherwise it would be like trying to put a corner on, technically (at magnification), a straight line/junction.
In the tutorial video you see the author just slightly moving one handle at points the corner tool is eventually used on.