You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I did post it years ago!

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Just now, jackamus said:

I did post it years ago!

Likely they read it. But as the roadmap was already created, it was never to have been added to the 1.x cycle at that point.

You can always bump that thread up by responding to it.

Well, that's the way of cookie crumbles!

There are lot of things other apps can do better, or do offer pretty useful features which are missing completely in the Affinity products. You also never will know if ever something missing will be implemented at all. - Thus if those things are important for you, use yet and now the tools who do support this in the manner you need and don't wait on Affinity here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

When I said years ago it was soon after AD was first published because it was a feature I used a lot in DP.

BTW Why is when I am corresponding on the AD Forum that My Mac makes a lot 'blooping' sounds?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

24 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I'm astonished that nobody understands what I have been trying to say about how some aspects DP is better than AD.

18 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I understand completely.

For what little it’s worth, so do I.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, jackamus said:

BTW Why is when I am corresponding on the AD Forum that My Mac makes a lot 'blooping' sounds?

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If you are in a thread and someone responds, it indicates there is a new reply.

Go to ‘Account Settings > Notification Settings’ and uncheck the option ‘Play a sound when I receive a notification’ in the ‘Notification preferences’ section.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

39 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Going back to our analogies it like creating an updated model of a car that used to have electric windows but leaving them off the updated version but adding self parking mirrors.

Except that AD is not an updated model of DP, and was not intended to be one. AD is something completely new and different, and it may never have all the features that DP has.

If DP does some things better for you than AD, then just keep using DP for those things. Use AD for other things, or not at all. It's completely up to you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, jackamus said:

I'm 78 - maybe I can't wait that long!

There are a few options on the Mac platform that can do what you want, Canvas Draw is one of them that you might want to take a look at though do realise that its user interface may take some getting used to. Originally it was based on Canvas from Deneba (I had that in the early 1990's)  but the Mac version has been completely rewritten a few years ago. Canvas is aimed at technical illustrations so it does have tools like drawing at scale, dimensioning etc.

More info can be found at: https://www.canvasgfx.com/en/products/canvas-draw-5-for-mac/

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

If you are in a thread and someone responds, it indicates there is a new reply.

I may get several bloops but only one reply. Its as though there is a lot of hidden activity going on.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

On 1/18/2019 at 11:07 AM, jackamus said:

If I have a square shape that is shown in Transform tab as being 10cm square but I want draw another square the same size (10cm square)but only showing 5cm square in the Transform tab. How do I do this?

If you are drawing at scale in the program then the dialogs (e.g. the transform tab) should always show real world dimensions and not paper scale dimensions. So if it would really show what you write above then in my opinion it is not the proper way of how the program should handle drawing at scale.

FWIW, I use drawing at scale the way you are asking for a lot in software that supports it properly (e.g. Vectorworks, CorelDRAW, Canvas X etc.)

1 minute ago, jackamus said:

I may get several bloops but only one reply. Its as though there is a lot of hidden activity going on.

There are several actions others can take that you will get a notification. Someone quoting you in another thread, a new response in a thread you happen to be in, someone "liking" one of your posts, sending you a private message...and there may be others. At the top of the page there is a bell icon that should give you an indication of what someone has done. There will be a number on it for all but the private message. That indication will be on the envelope icon next to the bell icon.

Mike

I always get a notification sound when i get a new email rply but I'm talking about loads of bloops. Like I said its as though there is a lot of hidden activity taking placeand I am assuming it is from the AD Forum.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I always get a notification sound when i get a new email rply but I'm talking about loads of bloops. Like I said its as though there is a lot of hidden activity taking placeand I am assuming it is from the AD Forum.

Well, if you shut off the sound in your account settings as (I think) Alfred mentioned, then you will know whether it is the forum making those sounds or not.

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

Maybe it is playing the music in my head through your speakers? Is it happening now?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

All this is giving me a headache!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

I'm astonished that nobody understands what I have been trying to say about how some aspects DP is better than AD.

Going back to our analogies it like creating an updated model of a car that used to have electric windows but leaving them off the updated version but adding self parking mirrors.

I am not disagreeing that in some respects DP is better than AD -- the lipstick on a pig expression just means that superficial changes to the appearance of something do not change its inherent nature.

As for the car analogies, the AD car is not an updated model of a DP model. It is a model from a completely different brand of cars, owned by the same company but assembled in a different factory using different tools & parts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

maybe this is an option, it came to me when reading this forum. (I still think affinity should make drawing to scale an option)

You make two drawings, 1: one to one, huge paper size, doesn't matter affinity can handle it. and a second one, 2: the size you want to print it. Where you place the first one.

Then you can scale the placed image to the right scale. (use devision in the size field)

When you change the first one, the second one will be automatically updated once set to linked in the resource manger. (you can keep both drawings open)

You can also double click the placed image and edit it. (but then it's not the same as the first, huge, illustration anymore.)

That's fairly similar to how I get round the scaling problem. I cannot for the life of me wonder why Serif have not yet provided a scaled drawing feature. There was a very good one on Affinity's predecessor - DrawPlus!

I create a drawing  using an 'A size' proportion that will allow me to draw full-size. I choose a stroke thickness suitable for this size. I make sure that I select 'Scale with object' so that the stroke thickness  scales down to my A4 printing paper.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 2 weeks later...

I fear you are wasting your time. I've been asking for this ever since Affinity was first published.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

19 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I fear you are wasting your time.

It is probably a waste of time to ask for this here in the Questions forum. Better to add your request to the feature request forums, since that is what they are intended for.

Of course, there is no guarantee that any particular feature will be implemented, particularly unlikely for those that the powers that be think are more appropriate for some other kind of app, for example CAD or animation oriented apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7