You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP B&W conversion problem

I seem to be having a case of brain freeze.  I've taken an image and converted it to B&W. So far so good. After a bit of sharpening an adjustments to the colour channels (via the BW filter) everything looks as I want. Exported the image and then when I open it in Finder or attach it to an email the solid black areas are 'mottled'. I remember something about colours showing up with red or blue areas to indicate if they're oversaturated but it's been a long time and I can't remember what to do or even if this is what's causing my problem. Any suggestions? I've attached a small sample to show what I'm getting rather than solid black.

Thanks

Ed

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 8.34.55 PM.png

Have you tried using the Background Channels to create a Greyscale Layer, you can use red, green, blue or all three to get a nice b&w

Could you also upload the image unedited? if you don't want to do that could you upload a partial image by making a selection copying it and using File > New from clipboard to create a new file you can use to upload, before you save rasterise the layer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi @EdD what are you trying to achieve with this image?

Use the Develop Persona to get detail back in the image, once you have a workable image you can go to the Tones tab and select Black & White. On the tones tab you can pull the red back to about -20 to get a bit of detail in the background trees.

2083212058_ScreenShot2019-01-17at23_56_48.png.a812f397d4f276970a0656bc1ed15194.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Where I'm getting these strange results is when I export the image. Inside AP it looks fine but the file I output has the 'grainyness' showing when I try to open it in Finder or send it through email. Any idea why that's happening?

What format are you exporting?

If JPG perhaps you're seeing compression artifacts, since that format used a "lossy" form of compression.You might need to choose a higher quality setting, to get a larger file. Or choose a different format.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the help guys. I restarted the process with the RAW file and did the conversion, twig removal and sharpening and couldn't reproduce the problem - it worked just as I'd originally intended. Must be the universe getting back at me for past indiscretions or maybe one of my cats 'helped'. Either way the problem has disappeared and I haven't found a way to make it happen again so I'll just carry on. :)

Ed

Glad the universe has seen the error of its ways :D