derei

[By Design] Healing Brush won't work on image with Perspective Live Filter Layer applied

Windows 7 Pro x64

AF Photo version: 1.6.5.132

When I tried to use the Healing Brush on an image that had Perspective Live Filter applied on it, did nothing. Once I disabled the filter, I could retouch the image using the Healing Brush. After editing I re-enabled the Perspective Filter Layer.
If this is a desired behavior, then it should pop a warning when user tries to use an incompatible tool, or if it is a bug, I can only hope my post will be helpful enough so the issue can be fixed.

I was working on the same document as in this post: 

Hi @derei,

Because this is a Live Filter, the brush still works in the original coordinates and will most likely be out of place. You would need to merge the live filter before doing any brushwork. This might be the reason why your inpainting brush was offset. 

This has already been discussed here: 

I will close this issue as "by design". 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @derei,

Because this is a Live Filter, the brush still works in the original coordinates and will most likely be out of place. You would need to merge the live filter before doing any brushwork. This might be the reason why your inpainting brush was offset. 

This has already been discussed here: 

I will close this issue as "by design". 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I am sorry @GabrielM but I cannot agree with your conclusion on this one.
The reason is simply that closing and reopening the document allowed the healing brush to work on the desired coordinate with the perspective filter on. It seems you might not know the software as good as you think you know it.

Some issues should be investigated further before concluding it is "by design". This one has a very contradictory behavior and if both are "by design", then is a BIG DESIGN FLAW. It should either "work" OR "not work", by design. Can't be both. Yet, it is.

We've tested it and the behaviour is consistent. With the Perspective live filter on, most brush tools will be offset. We've logged this with our developers ( in Sept 2018, as you can see in the post I've linked previously) and they closed is as "by design"

This is expected with all tools as they will operate in the original coordinate space

If you wish, you can post this in our feature requests section: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/55-suggestions-for-affinity-photo-on-desktop/ 

PROOF:

- perspective Live Filter: ENABLED

- tool: Healing Brush

Conclusion:

this is NOT a "by design" feature and unfortunately I could not find yet a way to reliably reproduce it, but it was clearly happening before the document has been closed and reopened.

You can clearly see it's offset: image.png

The offset amount would really depend on how you've used the perspective filter. If you want just a perspective filter and you don't modify it, it will work. The problem is when you modify the perspective. 

You can clearly see it's offset: image.png

The offset amount would really depend on how you've used the perspective filter. If you want just a perspective filter and you don't modify it, it will work. The problem is when you modify the perspective. 

I understand this, but the issue on this particular case was the brush didn't work at all. The issue on my other post with the Inpainting Brush indeed had an offset which now I understand where it comes from (the perspective filter).

But with the Healing Brush, at that moment, the issue was: IT DID NOT WORK. I mean, no effect was visible offset or not. And yes, I checked if I was on the right layer and if I had marked a sampling location (pressing Alt+Click). But after the document was restarted, the brush did work.
This was not the only time when a tool had no effect on a document until I restarted it (happened before with a painting brush tool). For some reason, in some circumstances, it seems tools freeze and don't do any effect.

I am sorry I can't offer more details. But this should have a pin on it and compared with future reports.

I see, but it's really difficult to investigate one-off issues, that not even you can replicate. Sorry. 

will keep an eye on it and I will report back when I will have more data.

Thank you for your effort to help.