You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion to add Final Words functionality ('opposite' of Initial Words)

It might be nice if there was also - along with Initial Words - a Final Words formatting scenario with exactly the same options as Initial Words but from the other end of the paragraph.
The attached image shows a few examples of use but there are probably more.
Not really sure how useful this would be to most people but it would have been useful to me on at least one occasion.
P.S. This is a very low priority suggestion. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't then that's just fine.

final-words-formatting.jpg

Yes. This would be very nice to have. Though to punctuate the final paragraph in a long story, as you've illustrated above, it might be just as easy to apply a character style.

Nevertheless, for short, repetitively structured paragraphs like one regularly sees in product catalogs, dictionary entries, contract terms, etc., being able to program nested character styles with associated start/stop characters within a single paragraph style would be a great time-saving device for those typesetting documents with short, repetitively structured paragraphs. It would save the time required to select words/characters and then apply character styles manually for hundreds of paragraph entries.

Let me also take this opportunity to reiterate my request that the "Initial Words" feature within paragraph styles dialogue box (and throw in the proposed "Last Words" feature) be able to apply a sequence of nested character styles, as one can do in InDesign. It's not uncommon for catalog entries, for example, to begin with a bold entry, followed by an italicized phrase, followed by a sentence or two set in roman, and then punctuated by a bold price.

See the screenshot below illustrating the way Adobe accommodates multiple nested character styles within a single paragraph style. One adds nested character styles in a sequenced list, then via pop-up selectors and fields indicates the parameters of the nested style. (BTW, they also accommodate nested line styles, which could be useful for regular chapter opening paragraphs where the designer specifies that the opening x lines be set in small caps, for example.)

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.53.26 AM.png

Nested Styles.png

I never thought about things like catalogues, dictionaries, etc. but I can see how they could be very time-consuming to format manually.
I don't know about the InDesign Nested Styles - I'm still trying to get to grips with the Publisher basics - so I can't comment on how well they work but they look comprehensive.
I can't see this sort of thing coming in 1.7, but for future releases, who knows? Maybe someone can pop this on the 'We'll think about it' list.