You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion to extend Initial Words functionality for variable lengths

It might be nice if the Initial Words text formatting functionality was extended to allow the user to specify whether the End Character(s) were displayed or not.
This would allow us to have variable-length Initial Words formatting while using the same paragraph style instead of needing one style for each slightly different scenario. See the attached image which, I hope, explains it better.
P.S. This is a very low priority suggestion. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't then that's fine. Just 'popping it into the pot'.

initial-words-extension.jpg

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

It might be nice if the Initial Words text formatting functionality was extended to allow the user to specify whether the End Character(s) were displayed or not.
This would allow us to have variable-length Initial Words formatting while using the same paragraph style instead of needing one style for each slightly different scenario. See the attached image which, I hope, explains it better.
P.S. This is a very low priority suggestion. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't then that's fine. Just 'popping it into the pot'.

At present I use the zero width space for this sort of thing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I've tried copying it from the text - where I inserted one - but it just gets pasted into that field as a normal space.

Please have a look at the menu below. You'll find the Zero-Width Space there.

Additionally, you should enable Show Special Characters (See Text Menu) to work with these special chars.
In fact I have this option always on. I can't imagine working with text not knowing or seeing what's going on.

Best

1492143850_Screenshot2019-01-17at13_25_55.thumb.png.ee8bbe73a92240903553cbaf74da8305.png

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I found where it was in the menu, which is how I managed to insert it into the text.
The problem is getting that character into the "End Characters" field in the Edit Text Style dialog; I can't access the Text menu while the dialog is open. (While the dialog is open, the rest of the UI is 'locked out'.)

43 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I hope there is a better way

Sorry, misunderstood your query.

I can copy the zero-width space from a text frame and paste it directly in the End Character field without any problem, but I agree, we should have a cleaner way of doing it.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

No problem.
I've just tried to copy/paste a zero-width space into the field again and it's worked this time.
No idea why it should work now and not before.
I'll have to keep an eye on this before I raise it as an actual problem.
Thanks to Old Bruce for the tip.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

I've just tried to copy/paste a zero-width space into the field again and it's worked this time.

Have you updated to the latest beta yet?

From the changelog:

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

(Mac) Fix for Pasting control characters into Find and Replace fields.

I upgraded about 20 minutes ago.
It's working as expected so I guess I may have been doing something wrong initially, somehow.
(I'm on Windows, and the fix mentioned was for OS X, but maybe something has 'bled through' to the Windows version too perhaps.)