You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very nice work.
Such detail in the full-size images too; I would not like to guess how much time and effort went into making these.
The little towns and villages - especially in the second one - are really cute.
I've had a 'bit of a thing' about maps for a long time and can spend way too much time looking at them if I'm not careful.
Ever since I first saw the Matthew Paris itinerary maps I've always wanted to create something like them but I've never had the time, patience or skill.
One tiny little issue I have with the first map is: Would it really mention "Rest of the World"? Some maps try and get you to stay where you are by making you afraid of what's outside. "Rest of the World" just sounds a bit too 'tempting' to the budding traveller, but I don't know the intentions of your commission.
That tiny issue aside though, lovely stuff.

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Very nice work.
Such detail in the full-size images too; I would not like to guess how much time and effort went into making these.
The little towns and villages - especially in the second one - are really cute.
I've had a 'bit of a thing' about maps for a long time and can spend way too much time looking at them if I'm not careful.
Ever since I first saw the Matthew Paris itinerary maps I've always wanted to create something like them but I've never had the time, patience or skill.
One tiny little issue I have with the first map is: Would it really mention "Rest of the World"? Some maps try and get you to stay where you are by making you afraid of what's outside. "Rest of the World" just sounds a bit too 'tempting' to the budding traveller, but I don't know the intentions of your commission.
That tiny issue aside though, lovely stuff.

Thank you very much!

Doing commissions means often that I have to follow the clients' wishes. Stylewise I have often much freedom, but text and labels are usually provided by the client.

Lovely stuff yet again.

I realise it's a commission, and as such you won't have much leeway over what's in it, but I have a few teeny-tiny concerns:
* "Onlookers's Theatre" should probably, in English, be either "Onlookers Theatre" or "Onlookers' Theatre", depending on what it is meant to say.
* If the individual shapes in the dockyards at the north-north-east (Uzban Dockyards) are buildings for making ships, how do the ships get to the water?
* Is the area marked "Graveyard" a place for burying bodies or is it just the name for the area? I only ask as there seem to be a lot of paths through it and most cemeteries don't have a lot of paths (more space for bodies, to put it crudely). Also, would a city have a graveyard so close to what looks like a tidal lake? (Or maybe it's on a cliff.)
* There aren't many dead-ends but that's just an urban planning matter, and you're the cartographer.
* The waterway to the east of Riverkeep looks a little narrow to me - issues with silting up? - but it's probably fine.
I only bring these things up as there are a lot of people who scrutinise fantasy maps to the smallest detail - as you probably already know.

Anyway, they're all trivial issues that my picky little brain came up with and shouldn't detract from the sheer amount of work that you've obviously put into this.
Kudos to you sir.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Lovely stuff yet again.

I realise it's a commission, and as such you won't have much leeway over what's in it, but I have a few teeny-tiny concerns:
* "Onlookers's Theatre" should probably, in English, be either "Onlookers Theatre" or "Onlookers' Theatre", depending on what it is meant to say.
* If the individual shapes in the dockyards at the north-north-east (Uzban Dockyards) are buildings for making ships, how do the ships get to the water?
* Is the area marked "Graveyard" a place for burying bodies or is it just the name for the area? I only ask as there seem to be a lot of paths through it and most cemeteries don't have a lot of paths (more space for bodies, to put it crudely). Also, would a city have a graveyard so close to what looks like a tidal lake? (Or maybe it's on a cliff.)
* There aren't many dead-ends but that's just an urban planning matter, and you're the cartographer.
* The waterway to the east of Riverkeep looks a little narrow to me - issues with silting up? - but it's probably fine.
I only bring these things up as there are a lot of people who scrutinise fantasy maps to the smallest detail - as you probably already know.

Anyway, they're all trivial issues that my picky little brain came up with and shouldn't detract from the sheer amount of work that you've obviously put into this.
Kudos to you sir.

Thank you!

I was given a general description of the city and some of the buildings, the rest is artistic freedom.

- Typo (file changed now).

- I imagined many of the yards as construction halls with roofs.

- A cemetery, but more a necropolis with large mausoleums and conglomerates of graves.

- Dead-ends are so...dead-ends. ;-)

- No explanation for this.

No cartography, but a mix of fantasy and medieval style art. Some years ago I did a series of images, a Lovecraft-Middle Ages mix, you can find them on my website (see link below).
This image is new and also uses a new style (more Morgan bible than Bayeux tapestry). Done in AP.

Old One s.png

• 1 month later...

Very nice.

I have a few notes/comments:
* Unless I've misinterpreted, you have spelt "Colosseum" wrong in the legend for Sitiri.
* I don't see any mention of what the dashed red lines are. Are they just city boundaries?
* What are the brown lines that seem to come under everything else? Are they tunnels?
* Do you need to mention what the rivers and lakes are in the legend(s)? Is it obvious?
* The meaning of the graphic for 'slope' might need a mention, if that's what it is.
* In some places it's a bit difficult to see the legends.
* Noticed that the T-junction south of Sitiri has a line going though it. Just a tiny detail that I happened to spot.
* I assume that the main roads have been exaggerated for practical purposes. Otherwise they'd be about half a mile wide.
* The text under "Ouaphris" could be better moved down a bit.
* These are massive cities. The somehow-strangely-perfectly-circular city wall seems to be around 800 miles in length and the enclosed area is about 15 times the size of New York. It's your map, and that's fine, but is this realistic given the level of technology - e.g. no train tracks - that the map seems to suggest?

Anyway, my little comments aside, lovely work.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Very nice.

I have a few notes/comments:
* Unless I've misinterpreted, you have spelt "Colosseum" wrong in the legend for Sitiri.
* I don't see any mention of what the dashed red lines are. Are they just city boundaries?
* What are the brown lines that seem to come under everything else? Are they tunnels?
* Do you need to mention what the rivers and lakes are in the legend(s)? Is it obvious?
* The meaning of the graphic for 'slope' might need a mention, if that's what it is.
* In some places it's a bit difficult to see the legends.
* Noticed that the T-junction south of Sitiri has a line going though it. Just a tiny detail that I happened to spot.
* I assume that the main roads have been exaggerated for practical purposes. Otherwise they'd be about half a mile wide.
* The text under "Ouaphris" could be better moved down a bit.
* These are massive cities. The somehow-strangely-perfectly-circular city wall seems to be around 800 miles in length and the enclosed area is about 15 times the size of New York. It's your map, and that's fine, but is this realistic given the level of technology - e.g. no train tracks - that the map seems to suggest?

Anyway, my little comments aside, lovely work.

Thank you! It was a commissioned piece.

Red lines are city boundaries. The brown is a deep trench. No need for rivers and lakes in the legend. Roads are exaggerated as well as the city wall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks great.

Makes me want to read a fantasy story relating to it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.