You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying perspective transformation to both layer and mask

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, but I was not able to find anything.

Basically I have a layer with a mask applied to it. I want to transform the layer using the perspective tool, and I want that transformation to apply to the mask as well. I can scale/rotate the layer, and the mask follows, but for the perspective tool this does not seem to work. Can this be done?

• Staff

Hi Wimads,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Use a Live Perspective Filter (menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer ▸ Perspective Filter) and nest it to the pixel layer with the mask also nested to the pixel layer. See the layer structure below (to nest masks, adjustments/filters etc to a pixel layer drag them over the thumbnail of the pixel layer in the Layers panel):

perspective.png.c6cea0bde5bfe0a471d892d84abf4ee0.png

• 2 years later...

But what if you have two pictures in layers. For instance because you used bracketing. So you have all these exposures on top of each other and now you want to apply a correction for perspective? My problem is that only the top picture responds to the perspective control. Can you help me out?

10 hours ago, Roelf said:

But what if you have two pictures in layers. For instance because you used bracketing. So you have all these exposures on top of each other and now you want to apply a correction for perspective? My problem is that only the top picture responds to the perspective control. Can you help me out?

Flatten the image or use the Merge Visible function...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 5 months later...

What are you trying to achieve?

Is it masking some of the water splash? 

I have to say that there does not seem to be a need for that Perspective layer, all it is doing is shifting the water splash a bit. So, do you actually need the perspective layer?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for tip. I didn't know it was going from bottom to top. 👍  I've tried several combinations but none worked. I assume that is because the perspective was aded after the mask has been created. And now it somehow doesn't align properly.

With a second mask added I can now mask it out the way I need. I can work with that no problem.

second mask.jpg