You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF/X-3:2002 (1.3) Export

Hi,

it would be very helpful to get a PDF/X-3:2002 (1.3) export option. Like it is still available in InDesign CC.
When working with small printing (also large ones) companies they often support / prefer this old standard. Because if the transparencies are flatten they have less problems.

Yes, they want to use their "old" software. In the ever-shrinking print world they have problems out of the costs. A Software update would not pay off for a very long periond of time.
I don´t need this type of PFD files very often, but with my last two projects I have had exactly this problem. Searching the internet it also turns up very often.
Also here in another topic:

Would be nice to see this option in on of the upcoming updates.

Best, Thomas

We would add 2002 if we could, but unfortunately our PDF export is based on a third party code library that is refusing to support it.

Both the old and new version of PDF/X-3 will flatten transparency. Most professional printers will be able to handle PDF/X-3:2003. It's 15 years old now. I suspect that even those who specify 2002 on their websites will actually be able to handle PDF/X-3:2003 (or PDF/X-1a:2003) without problems, so I suggest you try giving them that instead.

PDF X-4 does not normally flatten transparency. Flattening may happen as a side-effect of other rasterisation, but where possible we'll use transparency to minimise pixelated areas.