You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UK Spellcheck does not work in Publisher beta

I have spell check set to correct automatically and use UK spelling rules. I do not see any corrections or markings in the document when a spelling mistake is made. I assume the UK one is built in and should not have anything in the Dictionaries folder, which is currently empty.

The version is 1.7.0.206 (Beta)

Hi Andrew S

You do require an en_GB dictionary in the dictionary folder, one is required for all spelling languages. This should have been installed by the app though. If you run a repair on the app it should see it's missing and reinstall the dictionaries

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Also, make sure the language is properly specified in the Character panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Andrew S said:

I assume the UK one is built in and should not have anything in the Dictionaries folder, which is currently empty

Do you mean the directory listed in the Preferences for "additional dictionaries" or the one where Publisher installs it's standard dictionaries? They're different.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I expected the UK one to be built in which means I did not add any 'additional' dictionaries.

I download the installer again and run an update, although any time I tried to update the update failed and I had to uninstall and reinstall again.

I have downloaded it and run the installer. It came up with the 'Update' button and after clicking on it shows the message 'Setup failed'. I uninstalled the software and it came up with the same message so it does not allow me to reinstall it. I deleted the folder from the affinity folder, now I only have the photo and designer folders there but it still 'see' a previous installer. What do I need to find and delete from the windows registry to be able to reinstall it again? By the way, I only install programs on D: drive and not C. I thought I mention that in case that could be an issue. My other affinity products are installed on the D drive.

I use Max Unistaller which removes the registry entries as well but when I run the installer it still comes up as update when it supposed to be clean install for the Publisher.

OK, I searched the registry for affinity publisher and deleted all entries. Now I managed to reinstall it but the Common folder installed on the C drive and the rest is on my D drive with the rest of the affinity products. No built in spell check though.

I would expect all files in the Program Files/Affinity folder on D drive and not a separate Program Files/Affinity/Common on the C drive.

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, make sure the language is properly specified in the Character panel.

That was the culprit. It was going back to Australian spelling. I did not set that spelling though. It must have picked it up from the system or something and it showed Unknown (En-AU). A had to select every text in the document and change the spelling to UK.

11 hours ago, Andrew S said:

I noticed if I open a new document the Character panel automatically goes to 'Unknown (en-AU)'. How can I set up publisher to automatically have UK spelling set?

What language have you told Windows to use in your system-wide settings? Perhaps that has an effect?

Or, perhaps you set (or reset) some of your default settings at some point? If that's the case you could try setting the Language to UK English in the Character panel, and then using Edit > Defaults > Save. Or, if that doesn't work, possibly Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset.

-- Walt
PC:

Windows is set to Australian. I assume that is why it goes back to the one I mentioned. Interestingly, I cannot find the language spelling pack the documentation mentions. The links there do not direct me to any language spelling dictionary. I was thinking of downloading it and putting it into the Dictionaries folder but cannot find the language package.

Thanks for the tip, the Edit>Defaults>Save has worked.

3 minutes ago, Andrew S said:

Interestingly, I cannot find the language spelling pack the documentation mentions. The links there do not direct me to any language spelling dictionary. I was thinking of downloading it and putting it into the Dictionaries folder but cannot find the language package.

Not sure what documentation you're referring to.

You can get a Hunspell-compatible Australian English dictionary that should work with Publisher here (more info about it here) but I have not tried it. Unfortunately, they do not supply a hyphenation dictionary to go along with it.

A (perhaps different) Australian English dictionary can be found here among the LibreOffice dictionary files. Still no hyphenation dictionary, though. For automatic hyphenation to work you might need to create your own by modifying the UK English hyphenation dictionary appropriately. That might simply involve making a copy and renaming it.

Also, it's possible you could "fake" the Australian English dictionaries by copying and renaming the UK English dictionary directory and the files contained within it.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you for your help. Good idea with the 'fake' AU language. I downloaded the large AU spelling file and now Publisher automatically sets it to AU. I also copied the same over to Photo and Designer.

I see you are using all 3 betas. This Publisher beta installs into the C: drive Program Files/Affinity/Common folder and a bunch of dll in there. That was not there when I only had the Photo and the Designer, only Publisher Beta installed that in there. All my Affinity software is installed on my D: drive. Do you know if I could delete that Affinity folder from the C drive?

My Publisher Beta is installed on E:\Program Files along with Photo, Photo Beta, Designer, and Designer Beta. That's just where I told it to install the first time I installed it.

There is, however, also  C:\Program Files\Affinity\Common where Affinity has some files common to all 3 products. And there is also on C:\ the ProgramData\Affinity directory which Windows automatically sets up to hold program-specific data of some sort.

But the main programs installed where I told them to install.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.