I've made a series of pictures by applying gausian blur 100% to a bunch of shapes. They look great on the (old) monitor I'm writing this, but when I test it on a 1080 TV, it looks awful, as you can tell all the edges of the shapes - wereas from here, it works as intended in that the borders melt smoothly into a black background. Does anyone know of a way so that I can have that

gba.afdesign

gba.png

Is this for animation purposes?

Screen-Shot-2019-01-16-at-07-38-58.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

16 hours ago, firewater said:

I've made a series of pictures by applying gausian blur 100% to a bunch of shapes. They look great on the (old) monitor I'm writing this, but when I test it on a 1080 TV, it looks awful, as you can tell all the edges of the shapes - wereas from here, it works as intended in that the borders melt smoothly into a black background. Does anyone know of a way so that I can have that

You can hide the banding by working in 16 bits per channel and adding dither.

Here is your project file converted to 16 bpc and with a dither layer added to the stack: gba with dither 16 bpc.afdesign

And an 8 bpc PNG exported from it: gba with dither 16 bpc, exported to 8 bpc.png

dithered.thumb.png.04c34dfe130c6bfa9ff10412623a7107.png

1928769257_gbawithdither16bpcexportedto8bpc.thumb.png.edd49423d34f208aab1c2b4cc35b37f6.png