You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3rd party support and making it clear that large file sizes may cause instability on normal iPad

Here is a copy of the review I wrote for the iPad version as I just dont wanna have to type it all up again. 

Currently on 5th Gen iPad (non pro) with Adonit Pixel Stylus (unsupported by app)

I use the app a lot and it is comparable to adobe illustrator for ipad. I do have a few gripes with it though. If you do not have an iPad Pro then you are pretty screwed. It does not support any 3rd party stylus pressure sensitivity and since a normal iPad only supports 3rd party stylus, you might as well be using your finger. I own an Adonit Pixel which is top of the line but yah not supported by Affinity Designer. Also the App was crashing all the time for me and freezing up and it took me a while to figure out that it was because I was trying to work on a large file size. I would image it might be more stable on the pro but I don’t know. So if you need to print in high resolution for posters or what ever, you need to work in low res and then export it as a high resolution (just took me a while and a lot of frustration to figure out what was causing all the freeze ups). I like that they give you freedom on document size but they should make it clear that high file size might cause instability, I wanted to throw my iPad through a wall a few times and if they just made that clear it would have saved me a lot of frustration.

So to sum it up, probably fantastic if you own an iPad Pro but leaves a lot to be desired on a normal current gen iPad sadly. 

Also looks like they only update it like once every 2 months it seems not sure why they are not giving the iPad version much love. I would much rather have a good version on my iPad than on a macbook or what ever. 

3/5 stars - I would give this 5 stars if they added 3rd party stylus support/pressure sensitivity and I dinged an extra star for all the frustrations I went through figuring out what was causing the freezing/crashes. 

also I would like to add that a bunch of other art apps support pressure sensitivity with the Adonit Pixel: Photoshop Sketch, Procreate, Concepts, Illustrator Draw, Artstudio Pro, Vectornator Pro, Autodesk Sketchbook, Amaziograph, Medibang Paint, Zen Brush 2, Astro Pad, Tayasui Sketches, Comic Draw, Jump Paint, Artrage, Interactive Sketchbook, Animation Desk, MusicJot, Ink, Sketch Club, even a bunch of note taking apps support pressure sensitivity. 

• 2 weeks later...

You will never get REAL precision out of 3rd party styluses, Apple locks the high precision screen mode to the Apple Pencil only, 3rd party pens can never be more accurate than a finger. Couple in shotty connections, awful palm rejection and laggy pressure response... 3rd party pens are just not worth it. Some apps may support some off brand styluses and the functions might "work"...  but none will feel as natural and precise on iPad as the real thing. 

It's worth the steep price. It's literally mind blowing how good it is.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery