You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add, Subtract, Intersect, Divide buttons working incorrectly

Hi guys, I'm Sean. Thanks for having me. 

So this has been confusing and frustrating me probably since I got Affinity Designer. The Add / Subtract / Divide / Intersect / Combine buttons don't seem to work right for me. I'm sure it's probably something I'm doing wrong or some setting that's messed up, but I just don't know what to do. 

I have a shape and a few lines intersecting and sticking out past the shape... 

• When I click 'add', the lines just disappear 
  • The same thing happens when I click subtract
  • Nothing happens when I click "intersect"
  • Nothing happens when I click "divide"
  • The lines disappear when I click "combine" ... 

I've searched for some answers and can't seem to find anything. I also checked my version and I have 1.6.1 on Mac... is this the latest version? 

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

• Staff

Hi sstewart85,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
It's not possible to perform boolean operations between shapes and lines. Only between shapes. You can convert the line to a shape using the command Layer ▸ Expand Stroke and then perform the boolean operation (although expanding the stroke may not be desirable in some cases).

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Josie said:

When I try to intersect a cat and an octopus on my iPad the whole image disappears and I can’t figure it out, any suggestions?

Sorry if I led you astray about this earlier! You can only intersect vector objects.

If you ‘Convert to Curves’ two images, you’ll get rectangles with bitmap fills (so there will be no visual difference). If you then intersect the two rectangles, the resultant rectangle with be filled with the picture from the lower layer (which will be distorted unless the overlap rectangle happens to have the same aspect ratio as the lower rectangle).

To replace a cat’s legs with the tentacles of an octopus, you need to overlay the cat picture on the octopus picture and erase or mask off the legs and any other unwanted parts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Exactly the same principle as all of the others: put each of the component images on its own layer, position the layers as desired and mask or erase wherever necessary to let parts of the other images show through.

Alfred spacer.png

Corleone is a free font that you could use for the first one. Everything else is just simple lines, shapes, or clipart.

Alfred spacer.png

Either this way here ...

katzenkopf.jpg.81fc84576140848ef6cebaa802c6a7ee.jpg

... or via plain and common image manipulation ...

cat_in_black.jpg.226e19362c97e94830e7107a5cde76c5.jpg

For a more abstract look of cat heads and the like use the Adjustments Studio's > Posterise adjustment (play with the levels).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

52 minutes ago, Josie said:

Just put a cat head on the design with the suit and paint in the background? Correct?

you need to cut the cat head out of the background that it's probably on.  Here are two videos to show you how to do that. WATCH THEM.  It's your job to learn the software. You won't learn anything at all if everyone keeps doing the work for you.  I want you to succeed!

2 hours ago, Josie said:

Just put a cat head on the design with the suit and paint in the background? Correct?

Basically yes, you can reuse an already available image background (like I did with the MIB image here), or paint your own black rectangle background (etc.) one. - For this quick demo I used 4 layers ...

1. Bottom the original MIB image, where I then overpainted with a brush and the black background color parts of the two men heads, so the cat heads fit there in the next step on top then covering the men heads.
  2. In the middle I placed the two cat head layers with a transparent background and adjusted them slightly in size.
  3. On top I placed again a copy of the background layer, but this time I removed from that with the eraser tool everything that should shine through the underlayed layers, namely I removed the men faces, so the cat faces are visable. I did this layer mainly in order to let the hand & gun cover the right cat head and thus to be in foreground view.

A quick visual layer order overview here ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 minutes ago, Josie said:

If I’m working in affinity designer how do I get rid of images that are really pixelated?

If it is some simple image sketch, redraw or manually trace the bitmap to vectors. You can also try a third party trace tool to vectorize the image, though automatic tracing works best on better quality bitmaps than low res pixelated ones.

5 minutes ago, Josie said:

If I’m working in affinity designer how do I get rid of images that are really pixelated?

I presume you want to get rid of the pixellation, not the images! You can add a small amount of Gaussian Blur to smooth out a pixellated image.

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Josie said:

How does the sharpen brush tool work in affinity photo for iPad ?

Pretty the same here, the iPad online help should tell you too something like this ...

And for Designer on iPad related topics you can look into this one ...

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

to get rid of the pixellation, not the images! You can add a small amount of Gaussian Blur to smooth out a pixellated image.

Use higher rez images. Or if that is not possible, resample images to higher rez. There are different methods and apps for upsampling, some slightly better than others.

9 hours ago, Josie said:

How would I know if anything is happening or difference in the picture?

Not to state the obvious, but if the sharpening brush has any effect, the image will look different after you use it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I place a cat in to a space ship using the iPad affinity program?

Exactly the same way as you would put a cat in an astronaut suit! 9_9

Alfred spacer.png