You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Trace to Vector Path

15 minutes ago, MEB said:

Not sure this is intended.

We are sure because he is getting that antialiasing effects (“will smooth out the pixels”). Otherwise he would not need to vectorize it, he simply could scale it without "interpolation”.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

If you stretch it to 6000x8000 you are introduction distortion since the ratios are different. Not sure this is intended.

This is true, I don't need to be exactly 6000x8000, that just happens to be the final dimensions on the file I'm creating. I'm re-working the skin onto a fabric template so we can make the skin wearable.

9 minutes ago, Scott Prock said:

I don't need to be exactly 6000x8000, that just happens to be the final dimensions on the file I'm creating

Which begs the question: why are you creating a file at those dimensions instead of (say) 6400 pixels square?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Oval said:

We are sure because he is getting that antialiasing effects (“will smooth out the pixels”). Otherwise he would not need to vectorize it, he simply could scale it without "interpolation”.

The antialiased result of the upscaling operation (depending on the resample algorithm) has nothing to do with distortion introduced due to different image ratios.

Just now, Alfred said:

Which begs the question: why are you creating a file at those dimensions instead of (say) 6400 pixels square?

The upscale will still be square, sorry for the confusion. I just mentioned the file size as that's what I had open. The template I have to print to is that size. The upscaled skin will still remain square and needs to be bigger than the largest piece on the template. It's just a matter of semantics as far as the actual dimensions. My point was it's so much bigger than the original file I have to work with.

I hadn't thought of looking for an upscale app, thanks Oval :-)

17 minutes ago, Scott Prock said:

for an upscale app

I think, we already wrote somewhere here in the forum, that we would like to see a spline-based enlarging function to preserves clean edges, sharpness and all details. The other direction would also be important because small fonts etc. could look better.

• Staff

Oval,
If you want to quote me please quote the whole sentence:

31 minutes ago, MEB said:

The antialiased result of the upscaling operation (depending on the resample algorithm) has nothing to do with distortion introduced due to different image ratios.

The distortion I was talking about was about stretching the image format from a square (6400x6400) to a rectangular format. I'm not referring to the antialiasing/blurring introduced due to the upscaling.

There's dedicated applications for image enlargement like Photozoom Pro (S-Spline based), Gigapixel Ai and others. Some vectoring/tracing tools may also be used for this (like Vector Magic).

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

I'm not referring to the antialiasing introduced due to the upscaling.

This is why "distortion” also was quoted. Most of the no-interpolation-algorithms have this problem when you use unproportional upscaling.

If this makes it easier to see what I'm trying to do, here's an example of a minecraft skin. This is a screen capture of it in AD. So you can see how a 64px image like this could be a challenge.

I'm impressed with how AD renders the raster image clearly. It was almost a false sense until I exported it and realized I should have known better than try to "stretch" a raster image that far.

I wonder if the screen capture would work better for vector tracing.

Affinity_Designer_-_default_MinecraftSkin_3px_reference_png__1189_1__.png

23 minutes ago, Scott Prock said:

I wonder if the screen capture would work better for vector tracing.

Much too complicate if you do not distort it. So please try this for example: Get GraphicConverter (you can try before you buy), (batch) open and scale the file(s) proportionally (to 8000x8000px) and with setting "no interpolation". That is all. You do not have to vectorize because you get sharp files with high resolution and without antialising.

• Staff

HI Scott.
Can you attach the 64x64px image please? I'm still not sure what you want but please try the following.
(In Affinity Photo) Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then Document > Resize Document, set the size to 6400x6400 and the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press Resize.

(in Affinity Designer) Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then File > Document Setup, set the size to 6400x6400 make sure Objects will have the Rescale button enabled, set the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press OK.

• Staff

See the instructions I already posted in my reply above and you should get what you want.

(In Affinity Photo) Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then Document > Resize Document, set the size to 6400x6400 and the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press Resize.

(in Affinity Designer) Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then File > Document Setup, set the size to 6400x6400 make sure Objects will have the Rescale button enabled, set the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press OK.

This should give want you want. Let me know if it's not what you intend.

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

See the instructions I already posted in my reply above and you should get what you want.

Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then Document > Resize Document, set the size to 6400x6400 and the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press Resize.

WOW!

That worked perfectly, now I won't have to spend 10 hours creating vector based pixels HAHAHAHA!

Oh, just in case someone else see this later and tries to follow the instructions in AD, it's actually in AP (Affinity Photo) I was familiar enough with the software to realize it wasn't in designer but some may not. THANKS AGAIN!!

• Staff

I don't know where/how you are printing this but you may also want to consider increasing the DPI.

You can do this is Designer as well (didn't noticed this was in the Designer section sorry). Here's the instructions:
Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then File > Document Setup, set the size to 6400x6400 make sure Objects will have the Rescale button enabled, set the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press OK.

4 minutes ago, Oval said:

This is how it works in AP, but we are in “Affinity Designer on Desktop ” here.

Too late!

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

You can do this is Designer as well (didn't noticed this was in the Designer section sorry). Here's the instructions:
Go to File> Open and open the 64x64px image, then File > Document Setup, set the size to 6400x6400 make sure Objects will have the Rescale button enabled, set the Resample dropdown to Nearest Neighbour, press OK.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, MEB said:

Oval,
If you want to quote me please quote the whole sentence:

The distortion I was talking about was about stretching the image format from a square (6400x6400) to a rectangular format. I'm not referring to the antialiasing/blurring introduced due to the upscaling.

There's dedicated applications for image enlargement like Photozoom Pro (S-Spline based), Gigapixel Ai and others. Some vectoring/tracing tools may also be used for this (like Vector Magic).

Gigapixel AI is really good. Only limitation is x6, so 6 times enlargement.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky to check the affinity designer forum before making a purchase for it..

The need for inbuilt auto image vectorize is really important and I guess it must be obvious for a designer tool to have support for this..

Anyone can use inkscape for tracing but it is a overhead to use other tool, then export and import of vectorized form. It's a huge drawback for affinity designer to appeal in graphic designing industry.

The graphic designer industry uses two major tools in India - ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR and COREL DRAW, and both of them supports quite extensive tracing features. Even Corel draw makes it product highlights as introducing power trace, upon improving the tracing ability. And illustrator has inbuilt support of different presets of strong tracing options.